Pages

6.10.2014

Oh yeah, it's been a while

This is a carryover from an entry on the quilting blog, as I felt this sort of thing has no place there (I mean, in all fairness I did start the quilting blog to save you all from the banal-ness of quilting - since some people didn't give two hoots about quilting...even if it was what I had been working on).

The verbiage below stems from a misunderstanding that became inflated to Texas-sized proportions, all because someone failed to read....not because I chose to use a word I use on occasion. And by 'occasion', I mean more than ten times a year. Sue me if you don't like my intelligence and my formidable brilliance (and if you embrace your own ignorance).
*   *   *   *   *
[From the quilting blog]

"Why are you picking on Texas?"

Well, I am not picking on the entire state, simply one or two characters living there.  See, if I had named them there would be bigger issues, so I simply mentioned where they lived to make my life easier.  On a networking site (where I created and admin a group for Free Motion Quilting on Domestic machines) this person attempted to post an image which didn't show up - just a generated message that the person posting may not have had permission to post it, or that it may have been removed, or that I didn't have permission to view it.  So I commented that I could not see it, but that my interest was piqued.

Yes, the word of the day, kiddies - "piqued" - started a small firestorm.

Said person did not understand the word "piqued", and upon looking it up found (I'm certain) the two definitions that are standard for the word.  Well, the phrase I used ("...you've piqued my interest.") appears in both physical, hard cover dictionaries and online....but she chose to (mis)interpret my meaning anyhow and write this:  
"I am afraid I don' t understand: Pique: a sudden feeling of annoyance or angel when someone has offended you. How have I offended you? I will remove the picture."

In less than 20 minutes I had returned to my keyboard to look for a response or a plea for assistance to correct the photo issue and to get this person's snapshot loaded to the timeline for all to see. When I saw their response I quickly wrote this, hoping to soothe nerves and calm the overwrought (and semi-ignorant) person:
"Don't take the very literal derogatory/negative connotation, but the more overarching "plucked", "raised", suddenly engaged. How could you annoy my curiosity?

"Attachment Unavailable
This attachment may have been removed or the person who shared it may not have permission to share it with you."

There is no image (at least, I cannot see it), therefore, I am suddenly curious and anxious to see whatever it was that should have posted ~ "


Another member of the group wrote (more than five hours later) that they also could not see the image, and that they were curious.  So, instead of rectifying the problem, this person overreacts to the point of extreme silliness and leaves the group.  Not being happy with this outcome, I wrote a fairly quick note saying:
"I am sorry if you were offended at my comment, which was meant as an explanation as to how I meant the word and not your inference. 

It's also unfortunate that the misunderstanding of my question (as to where/what your photo was) turned into such a major issue instead of resolution - resulting in you deciding to withdraw from FMQ. Totally unnecessary. 

A few of us were hoping to see your post...an accomplishment, perhaps? Sad to see now we'll never know. 

Best wishes for your FMQ future ~ "

Mind you, only a few weeks earlier we had had an exchange regarding one of her quilt photos I used as a banner image for the group...and everything was fine.  I suppose it was because I used words smaller than two syllables for the most part in our quick exchange (yes, I am feeling a little snarky).  Yet here, in their final response to my completely unnecessary - but sincere - apology, is a rather terse (and somewhat ignorant), and rather disjointed set of non-reasons: 
"What was unfortunate and unnecessary is the use of such a complex word to make such a simple statement. My husband was looking over my shoulder as I read your response and he too did not understand why you chose that word. The words even related to that word are most all questionable. Simply ask where picture was taken or when. Not necessary to risk using a word through a written text that may be interpreted at its original meaning. When that is possible use alternate word that will bring a smile. I enjoyed my time on FMQ. Life is just to short to take a fun picture and complicate it with words most often not used. I had posted the picture of the camping quilt here in this picture a couple days prior. I just enjoy simple time. Simple life. Simple words. No need to spruce it up with complex choices. We dont use that word very often here in Texas. Take Care. God Bless and Best wishes for FMQ."


Seriously?  You added another ignorant person to your hissy-fit-athon, and between the two of you, you still  couldn't see the overreaction factor?  I am not feeling tremendously optimistic about the educational system there in your neck 'o' da' woods, or about the future of reading and comprehension.  To say nothing of the ability to follow a 'bread crumb trail' that totally spells out the misunderstanding of a word with dual meaning(s) - and points you directly at the correct meaning.

And yes, let me not obfuscate, I did (and do) use punctuation and paragraphs - even in Fb!  All text was copied directly from the source (for both parties) and NO instances of substitution or corrections or screwing up (used for you simple Texificans) were applied to this.

You have piqued my curiosity - are all Texicarians so simple and rude, and bullheaded and uncomprehending?  

Time for me to move to Canada - or the UK - where they like words.

No comments: