Pages

1.05.2019

Christmas cards

Many people send them; many more people love to get them - and why not?  What's not to love?  A token of friendship and remembrance, but also a way to tell people they mean something to you.  Even though you may have fallen out of general contact with them, you're saying (in a minute way)  that they still matter to you, even though you may be horrible at showing it (the rest of the year).

I am familiar with the sensation, I receive cards, too.  It's never not delightful.

I'm not certain how other people go about it all, but in my case, I take time to search for the most representative cards to send.  I don't make out many - maybe thirty or so - but that's enough for it to be a chore (not a 'bad thing' chore, just a process that requires time and thought).  Do I buy any cards of a 'more personalized' nature in addition to boxes of one card or another?  You betcha - one special one for mom, one for my son and his bride, certain friends... I search for style and substance, not one over the other; something that sounds like me and pleases my mental palette, so when the recipient reads it they can tell I am sending my greetings. 

Yes, I buy boxes of cards, 16-20 per box (usually two boxes of totally different cards/messages), that way the folks who might not appreciate one message or illustration may be a better fit with the alternate selection.   And yes, one of the greetings tends to be a bit more secular than the other.  It's worked for me for years - and on occasion I've received complements because of the card choice.  That's when it's totally worthwhile. 

With very few leftovers (from the boxes), I easily use those for co-workers the following year; or as thank you-type notes to people who have affected my life positively throughout the year... people I don't communicate with otherwise.  It all works out well, usually.

Except [sigh]... this season I slipped into my all-too-familiar blue funk, and while I wanted to send cards, I simply couldn't produce (or hold on to) the necessary momentum to seal the deal.  Thanksgiving weekend is typically the time I make out my notes (then address and stuff the envelopes) so that the cards can travel that first week of December, but for some reason I could not propel myself into action.  When cards began arriving in our mailbox, I knew I was up against it then.  Yikes!

Even that wasn't enough to force my hand - not completely.  With the heaviness of an unrelenting Navy blue hue now hanging about me, I tried to make myself accomplish the task - sets of six cards at a time.  Anything to get the ball rolling.

So, if you are still waiting for your Christmas card from me... just know, YOU SHOULDN'T BE.  I completed the task prior to Christmas (thank you very much), including the part where you drop the addressed, stamped envelopes into a mailbox for the carriers to do their thing.  If you normally get a card from me and you still haven't received one, let me know - please.  I would love another reason to go postal.

Ah, Christmas cards, oh, Christmas cards. [humming carols quietly to the cats]




No comments: