Pages

5.16.2020

Life goes on

When this whole quarantine thing began I made the choice to send Karl away - in the off-chance I really did come in to contact with someone who really had the virus, I would not be endangering him.  With his asthma (and the double heart infection a few years back), there were no two ways about it.  He could not remain here with me being out and about.

The kid has been holed up with his father for two months.  At the time, he was not happy in the least, and refused to pack more than two of anything (underwear, t-shirts, night clothes, etc.), thinking there would be a quick determination that everything would be a fast whirlwind of activity and panic, then all would return to a scary sort of normal.  Well, we all know how this has gone, don't we.

After all of these weeks, he's still not happy, but he's not as sour over it any longer, either.  Every so often I will make the drive to visit and drop off banana bread or dinner dishes (because there isn't a whole lot of home cooking going on there), spare clothes (which he turned out to be truly grateful for), his desk chair, an Easter basket, books, his favorite tea; you know, basic POW packages but with an additional pay-off.

I miss him.  So when I take him something, I cash get to in, too.  Just seeing him replenishes my lonely heart.  On my last trek I took banana bread (two loaves they could share), tea, fig newtons and a hug!  Yup, we did - and he initiated it!  And what's more amazing, he has lost some weight - quite a bit from the way his pants were cinched and pleated.  He doesn't think so, and somehow he's not feeling it...but he looks so good.  This has been a Covid blessing, and I couldn't be happier.

Of course, it will be wonderful to have him back home - when it's safe - but for now it's pretty good.  Life goes on and we will be back to all things normal eventually.


No comments: