Pages

5.14.2008

OK, time to cast a vote, give me some help, please

So, yesterday I had an interview, directly after taking a call from one of the producers of the little indy film I was to be working on. What a crunking mess!

I mean, what would you do?

Let me lay it out for you.

The indy "job" is sporadic AT BEST, but when I initially spoke with Fred (indy producer), it was going to be 3 SOLID weeks of work...mostly at night. Mind you, "solid weeks" are comprised of 6 days, Monday through Saturday, from 10 to 12 hours each day. So, I can do that. I was looking at the experience and the chance to say I worked on a real movie production as a PA in the Art Department. Cool, right?!?!

But now, Fred is saying I may work Monday the 19th, sewing draperies, and not actually on the sets. Doggone it! Still, it is credit.

Here's the rub...I had an interview with the marketing people for the Michigan Renaissance Festival. Much closer to home. MUCH! So... less gas expended. It is a definite M-F job - everyday, from 8:30am to 5pm. It starts right away, and runs longer than 3 weeks - all summer, in fact.

Of course, the pay is less. Well, is it really?

Hmmmm.... let's do the math.

At $8 per hour, multiplied by 8 hours per day, that's $64 a day - pre-tax. Taking out estimated taxes, I figure take-home pay about $256 per week x 4.3 weeks in a month = roughly $1100 to pay bills, get food, etc.

HOWEVER...if the production job did give me 2 full weeks of pay - no matter WHAT the hours...that would equal $900 bucks. Since they don't take out taxes (you get a 1099 at the end of the year - and you pay the tax amount, SS$, etc. to the gov't), it would be that amount in pocket right now as I need it.

Again, though, keep in mind, there is no confirmed schedule I can expect to work with the production. Fred even said I may not use you all six days of any one week. So, I may only work one day the week of the 19th, and that's it! $75 one time....and I burned up eight to ten dollars in gas! Not to mention, I still don't know if they intend to pay me for the day I was called down (and went) to the apartment set to paint.

Question marks all around.

I realize that this is the nature of the production beast. My difficulty is that I have responsibilities to deal with. A mortgage and bills and a family to care for financially. I need the exerience and the good street cred, but I also need to find a balance until I can do what it is I really want to do - AND THAT I AM GOOD AT!!!

What would YOU do? Right now, it appears there may be conflicts, and it's not good.

Anybody want to weigh in with an opinion? Thanks!

No comments: