Pages

8.28.2008

Who's Ass Do You Have to Kiss? AKA: "OK...so miracles do happen!"

Holy cow! I finally have confirmation and a "report to" for my second production!

In case you haven't heard: for the last 3+ months, I have been working at the Michigan Renaissance Fair offices in the marketing department. It's been...well...it's been a nightmare. I took the VERY low-paying "internship" (yes, they called it an internship to get out from having to explain the poor wages) as a way to at least get some money coming in once the unemployment wages ceased to exist. Also, I had thought that the internship moniker would help on my resume - although I do not wish to be in marketing or sales! Yeesh!

Although, it turns out the owner is simply a cheap little b*stard who doesn't pay much more than $8.50 per hour to anyone he doesn't have to - and that's pretty well everyone in the offices and grounds crew...and on and on.

I have continued to look for work, to go on spartan interviews (those are tough to get around MI any more), and conduct phone interviews - when you can get them at a decent time of day (where it doesn't interfere with the darned hours of the poopy job). It has been nerve wracking, and that's putting it mildly.

I have also taken a VERY part time position as a studio assistant for a community access cable channel in Oxford. It pays even less than the "internship" [picture me making HUGE air quotes there] - minimum wage, in fact - and you cannot work any more than 20 hours in a week! LOL

My work is superior in several ways to what it is they are used to. My big problem is that I can't stop doing my particular brand of work and dumb it down to their standards...I just can't And I am getting a talking to shortly about it. LOL I know I should give them the value of their $7.40 pay...but it's my work and name which is being viewed. What should I do?

ANYwho......

Getting back to the great part: I have been hired to work as the assistant casting person on "Ye Olde Times", being shot at the Renaissance Festival in Holly! I accosted the producer (one of them) as he was exiting the building on Tuesday, and he smiled and said bye as he passed. I smiled, excused myself to the caller on the other end of the phone, put my phone down and asked: "Who's ass do I have to kiss to get a job?"

He laughed, then asked if no one had gotten in touch since we had first spoken. I told him no and that I had contacted everyone laid in my path...but no use.

Scott turned to his assistant and said, "Go find Cynthia - we have her aide. And get Beth's contact info again." Scott went out the door - poof! And his asst stuck by my side til Cynthia stopped at my desk.

Voila!

I know my mom would be cringing, but it worked. My crass question was well met, and I am now working for the production! YEA!!

The pay is far better than I have made recently, but I do have to reserve some to pay taxes at the end of the year.

With these types of jobs, everything is done with 1099's. Get used to it!

The hours will be uproarious...but I am gaining knowledge, insight, credit for my resume and possible avenues into other productions. Better than a stick in the eye! Plus, people in the loop are gonna see my work and come to know me...what better references could I hope to get?

I am totally geeked.

Of course, I still need to continue looking for work in the mundane world, too. Something to fill the coffures as the production work for this movie is only 4 - 5 weeks of pay, maybe 6...but definitely not going to last. I must always think like the ant and not the grasshopper.

So, be happy for me, and think good thoughts. I still need a job (or to win the lottery). Or, to marry a sugar daddy...hmmmm.

Please write and let me know how your worlds and stars are colliding out there. Miss you. Be happy.

No comments: