Pages

9.13.2009

Always watching

I feel like a lifetime observer.

Always an outcast, a misfit - never quite fitting in (not even in my own family), and I have felt this way my entire life.

To make myself a part of the happenings I employed a camera.

I have hidden behind the lens of a camera to view life, to be involved, to participate, to be 'there' and be welcome. Without one, I am invisible...feel unwelcome and highly vulnerable.

But this isn't always a bad thing (being that fly on the wall, that is).

Yesterday, I had a great time observing MSU's marching band get ready for their performance at the home game against Central - which, sadly, the Spartans did not win. But the band is remarkable!

The smaller pods of instruments (sax's, trombones, flutes, flag bearers and the mighty Hooahs, just to name a few) all splinter off, after an exhaustive rehearsal, to have breakfast with family and friends and relax. Then, they wander back to (wherever) to dress in those natty uniforms, only to reappear maybe half an hour later on Adams Field and warm up in their respective team pods - led by exuberant and intelligent team leaders. Once the warm ups are complete and photos have been taken, the entire band assembles in formation to tune up, run thru a couple of numbers, to finish applying spats and gloves and whatever else to their ensembles, checking pant creases and hatbands for sharp edges and unruly trim, and then they rile up the familial crowds - and themselves!

All of this before they begin a mildly rowdy half-mile march to the field to begin the game.

And wait til I tell you how involved the parents are - you would never believe how elaborate and committed (how insane) the breakfast preparation is to feed these kids out there along the fringes of Adams Field! It was really very cool.

I loved being a part of it, watching from behind my lens.

Hooah!

No comments: