Pages

11.10.2009

News

For those of you wondering 'why hasn't she written anything in two weeks?', well, let me fill you in.

I began two entries while at Gram's, but never got around to finishing them - so many intermitant interruptions in being there that sometimes I get derailed and never go back to finish the thoughts and post the entry.

You will find two of those entries at the end of October, should you care to back up and read them. They aren't long and may even be fun to catch up on. Otherwise...

November crept in and I watched in horror as realization of another lost year was a meer 60 days away.

It's been a somewhat busy handful of days, and while I certainly have had time to write, my desire just isn't 'there'.

Karl had his wisdom teeth extracted on the 5th, and that was a day - let me tell you. On that same day the taping for Bible Quiz Time started up for the new season, and I am once again sitting in the Sound Engineering seat. Third year!

I had to be in Dearborn (by 8:00am, I thought, as we have always been), only to find everybody else far behind timewise. That's OK, I used the time well.

Sweetly, Brian agreed to drive Karl south to meet me at Ford Road and Telegraph by 12:15pm so that I could take him to Detroit's St. John Hospital Center of Dentistry for the surgery. Since you shouldn't have anything to eat or drink at least six hours prior to anesthesia, I had to get Karl up for a bowl of hot cereal and milk before jumping in the car to head to Dearborn. That all happened around 6am.

I know, right!

The hand-off went well, and both Karl and I were starving on the drive to Detroit. He was nervous but did a great job all around. On the drive home he said he was thirsty and ravenous, so we opted for a malt from Big Boy to make things better. His incredibly numb tongue almost tasted the flavor, but the cold liquid was a gift, and it took his mind off of some of the happenings (at least for a little while).

On the way home I called around to find an inexpensive way to buy the antibiotic and pain meds prescribed for the boy, and it wasn't until I got home and was in panic mode that I called the little family pharmacy I used to frequent when I had a job and insurance, and found they were only asking for a FRACTION of the cost of the antibiotic! Go figure.

Fast forward: Karl is doing splendidly; eating soft foods has morphed into soft homemade chicken fingers, salmon patties and spaghetti with meatballs. Most of his discomfort has been on the lefthand side where the dentist said one of the teeth was a little more trouble than the others, and they ended up putting a couple stitches in to keep things closed. Laughing and smiling are now his biggest pains, for the most part, but I think he is keeping his teeth clean and rinsing enough, so we may have passed the roughest part without incident and infection. He has roughly four days left of the antibiotic, and we go back to St. Johns for a final appointment/check-up on Friday.

Thanks for caring and for your good thoughts and prayers.

No comments: