Pages

11.22.2009

Nutty weather

We have been enjoying a rather unusual weather pattern for...well, all of November. Yes, all of it! The last time I remember weather being this nice in November was just about a dozen years ago.

The boys were little, and I had a best friend. We were still a family living in the boonies - just before I decided I had had enough and began looking into divorce and starting over.

Things at home were tense and becoming uncomfortable day by day, and I leaned on my friend for my mental stability. I was also seeing a therapist (as I had been for years). It began with my going to appointments to benefit Karl, but grew into his therapist recommending I also seek out someone to talk to.

I did.

It worked. After nearly four years, I realized I was never going to be happy with the way things were going in my family. The more I worked to improve life, the harder 'he' ran in the other direction to destroy the peace. To shatter my calm. To trash our marriage and our family.

At the height (or, depth) of this discovery, Linda and I decided it was the perfect time for us to take a mommy trip for some fun and time away. After all, them men took their hunting trips and reserve weeks away from us, so why not turn the tide and return the favor. Two homemakers on the road and kicking up their heels.

She had four boys, and I had two. When we got together it was usually at her home, and it was as though the Lost Boys had control of the kingdom. She was used to it - I was not. She and her husband had the large family my ex wanted (but he could never have been the kind of father it would take to raise that sort of brood). Linda had everything but their finances under control, so I often wondered why she wanted to go on mommy trips when they had no way to afford it.

Anyhow, one year we decided to go to Chicago - and off we went. The temperatures hung in the 60's and we couldn't believe our good fortune! Wandering around the Windy City in lovely weather and holiday lights...what fun.

Well, here we are again - maybe not the 60's, but these mild temps are pretty darned nice, so no complaints (unless it gets gray).

Enjoy your week, people, and (at the risk of sounding trite) remember to be thankful for all things.

No comments: