Pages

11.26.2009

Noticeably thankful today...what about the rest of the year?

I am at Gram's, spending this holiday - and the weekend - with her; my sons soon to be driving in for dinner and a few hours of visiting. Spent the bulk of yesterday packing, preparing, packing, schlepping, driving, unpacking, schlepping, unpacking some more...then peeling, cutting, chopping, mixing, pre-baking (hey, at least it wasn't more "packing"), cleaning. And all of that before dinner! :)

Just the journey to Gram's alone is orchestrated chaos. Taking things to do for the time there, and making certain to have all of the do-dads necessary otherwise having taken all of the stuff was sort of a waste. (Found that out the hard way, once...but only once.) Making certain the ride down won't interfere with Brian's schedule, or anything else scheduled for that time - nope, still don't have a car, but then, I don't have a job either, so I guess that explains why I don't have a car, yet. Planning and doing to have some things in order at home before leaving so that I do not come home to more chaos than I left behind.

All the while I wonder what am I forgetting, and what have I left behind?

Bills, clothes, food, boys, cats, meetings, undone things that will now have to wait until I return.

I need a haircut (random, no?).

I am thankful I have these things to occupy my mind and my time. Although, there are days when I turn around and retrace my steps wondering what it was exactly that I accomplished. Honestly, there are days when the answer would be "not a damn thing." Lots of days when it is more like "not a whole hell of a lot." Still, many, many more where I would have to answer "oh well...I guess there is always tomorrow."

I am thankful to still have my house.

Thankful to have skills and talents - and would be even more thankful to be able to share them with a PAYING employer. That sounded a bit more ungrateful and bitter, didn't it? Sorry.

I am thankful the kids are healthy and intelligent, and possess talents of their own. I am also thankful they can take care of themselves and the house - for the most part - in my absence.

I am thankful for my mother, and if you know me well, you know why.

I am thankful for my improving health.

Thankful that next year I will have the chance to ply my trade, skills and initiative with gusto, instead of sitting on the sidelines because Harvey kept me down.

Supremely thankful for friends - and you know who you are. Without you I would be...friendless.

Oh, I am sorry. That was too easy and very predictable.

I am thankful that my friends would smile at that last attempt at humor.

I am thankful the heat is on, the electricity works (without many problems), the water from my tap is clean and tastes good, my cats aren't gourmet catfood eaters, and that I have had the pleasure to have known all of my grandparents and most of my GREAT grandparents in my lifetime - a distinction I find many people sadly do without.

I realize these things, and MANY more, every day and relish my blessings on some level all of the time. What about you?

I hope you have things to be thankful for, and that you can recognize them without having to really try too hard. Even the adversities are a blessing...for they make us stronger and more prepared for the next time.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments: