Pages

5.11.2009

Sad flowerbeds

I wandered out the back door this morning, onto the lovely little patio area I cherish - but have neglected over the last year. This is where one of two main flowerbeds resides at my home. Last year, due to the discomfort of Harvey (may he rest at the bottom of the pile of stuff removed from people's bodies) and the subsequent pain associated with any physical activity I would attempt, and because of a general unemployment malaise I was floating through early in the spring, I completely ignored my responsibilities in my gardens. The weeds took hold of every square inch (close enough for an accurate accounting) and made a pretty good mess of the front and back yards.

I am disappointed in myself, nearly to the measure I had reserved for my ex and his lying, drinking and continuous adultery. Trust me when I tell you that that level of disgust and disappointment extends itself to all cheaters and wanna-be cheaters.

But I digress.

I knew there was a losing battle to be fought in the gardens...and this short trip of mine confirmed the damage.

I noted the proliferation of mosquitoes from the unending rains, and the numbers of weeds (a HUGE amount of thistle) creeping into the beds, threatening even the hardiest perennials. I cried over the need to trim and till and pull the old growth from my lovely friends - all things I should have done last year.

I closely inspected my two honeysuckle vines, only to find my fears of their lack of greening were because they are no longer alive! How did this happen? These two beauties were five years old and thriving! Beautiful and prolific in their blooming. By all accounts they loved their pergola positions and the amount of morning to midday sun they have had for the past four+ years. Why didn't they survive this winter? Before you say it, let me assure you that I did, at the very least, water the bed...even if I didn't pull weeds as regularly as I should/could have.

Is it possible that there may be some hope if I cut them down to the ground? Sometimes a harsh trim is enough to jolt plants into sending out new growth. Tomorrow I will venture out again and arm myself with a pair of hand nips to see how far down I need to clip before I can find green wood on my old friends.

Keep a happy (green) thought for my beauties, and I will let you know what I find. Thanks for looking in.

No comments: