Pages

8.08.2009

Has it been three days?

Today is the final day for me...last FULL final day. I have been here for a while, working without the jenny, and although it's raining buckets (and has been for some time) I am comfortable and dry in my trailer office.

I began the day early, with the sound of thunder approaching quickly. I decided to pack up the car in the early hours so I wouldn't have to do it tomorrow morning, but, due to the rain I had to change my plans. So I busied myself with cleaning the cupboards and drawers out, getting my things into boxes and bags and ready to load. Tonight I will do my laundry and pack the luggage, leaving out only what I will absolutely need for Sunday. I also ate the last of my Morningstar blackbean patties and beautiful Farmer's Market tomatoes for breakfast - it is amazing how filling those are. And it is fortunate they cook up well enough in the microwave, for I returned the toaster oven to the Art department yesterday. weeks ago Kevin loaned me that lovely bit of luxury to use for making dinner in my apartment, and I gratefully accepted the chance to pseudo-cook and not go out for dinner every night.

Yesterday began with a DH AAR (Department Head After Action Review), most of which will be delivered to the corporate folks at ACS - the company putting on this little shindig - and their discussion and suggestions will hopefully provide some resolution to issues encountered over the last several rotations.

The next rotation (deployment for this training method) will be in Blanding (a repeat location) through all of October and into November...ending just before Thanksgiving. It is a much larger project (this one was decidely smaller compared to all the others) and will require far more resources in every way, shape and form, so I would have my work cut out for me.

Yes, I have been asked to join them, if I desire to, and I am thinking about it, but will also continue to look for work close to home and more consistent in nature ("consistent" as in every day Monday through Friday, with benefits and vacation days, and within a reasonable driving distance).

I'm not crazy, I just act that way.

There are tractor trailers out back waiting to load up the conex's (large metal containers that are loaded with everything this team travels with - EVERYTHING), and I can hear the steady droning of their engines over the rain and wind. It's sad that the last day out here on base has to be performed in the rain, but I suppose it's fitting for Grayling.

The production folks have shown up and are getting down to business, so I will go back to my work and finish. Once done here, I will roll up my sleeves again, and become a PA for the next few hours.

Thanks for checking in, and keep good thoughts in your hearts for everyone here, and for the National Guardsmen and women going overseas soon.

No comments: