Pages

8.03.2009

Mom sent a note - here's my reply

Only 7 days to go up there...are you counting the hours yet?

Keep well, hang in there. Only a little bit more to go.

Love,

Mom

I responded -

Don't you know it! Oh yes, I am counting the hours - and the minutes, AND the seconds. There are times when I think "hey, this is almost over...too bad," and then I realize "yea! It's almost over!" One week to go and then I am driving south like nobody's business.

Yesterday I asked to confirm my departure date, and was told it had moved it to the 11th, "...possibly the 12th". I reminded them I had plans that had been put in place months ago, and I would be happy to do the work remotely if it were a possibility. They said, "...ok and whatever. We'll figure it out." As their plans are sort of by the seat of their pants, and they really don't have much expected for me for the last two (maybe) days, the idea for hanging around and paying the room charges, etc., is not appealing when I could be home getting things done. Also, I need a little time ahead of my date with the MI Works office (that Thursday) to get everything gathered up in one place again, and drop it off at the office the day before, as instructed.

So................

The last set of Guards left in a flurry throughout the day last Friday, and the ones remaining behind for whatever reason pulled out at the crack of dawn - and the place looked desolate once the sun was high in the sky. A few Guard members have arrived for the next regular rotation - and I think they are early, as a few more arrive each day, just like last time. This place may be humming again with noises and activity soon, and we will be packing it up and departing as they are spreading their wings.

The bunch we've trained will have their orders to go overseas soon, and hopefully what we all accomplished here will help them to better understand the people they will be coming in contact with. I pray it will help cement better relationships in villages across Afghan and Iraq now that the soldiers have an idea of what they will be seeing and hearing, or that it will keep them alive being able to better identify insurgents (or possible dangerous situations) and their reactions can be kept to a less tragic confrontational level.

The idea is to keep things peaceful before too much harm can be done out of ignorance and suspicion (and fear). So many ways for these folks to look, it's a wonder they can sleep when they close their eyes to rest.

Anyhow, I am waiting for the rest of the Production folks to get here so that the trailer can be unlocked. I expected Wardrobe to be here much earlier, but they are behind, too. Currently I am sitting in the large tent between the trailers where we eat, and Jana moves the supplies in and out of, and those packs for tracking the soldiers were in boxes - do you remember that mess?

It's a late start day today because there is no COB activity in the box, and the team takes advantage of the relaxed atmosphere to break things down, and inventory and pack things away, to be ready for re-deployment next Monday. Everything goes! Everything has its place, and the packing began in earnest a few days ago. I can see such a difference around here, and the atmosphere is changing.

I will get back to work in a moment, I just wanted to send you a response and to say I love you, and thanks for stopping by here on your way home, it meant a lot to see you. Now I know how soldiers feel when they are away from their families. Much love,me

No comments: