Pages

7.11.2010

The ride home this morning

Somewhere between Ferndale and Birmingham I began to have a tough time keeping my eyes open. Smacking myself on the cheeks helped for a while, but I really needed to cop a nap right then.

I knew I was in real trouble when I passed the turn for Square Lake to get from Woodward to Telegraph. About a quarter of a mile or more later I realized, yikes! Turn around, fool!

So, I stopped at the McDonald's on Telegraph, just north of Square Lake, got a hot chocolate and pulled into a parking space to sip the cocoa and re-energize. Next thing I know, there is a police officer knocking on my window, asking me if I am OK...and if I had been drinking.

Yup, you guessed it - I had fallen asleep.

It couldn't have been more than 10 minutes, but it must have un-nerved the folks inside the Micky D to see my car still there after a few minutes. I dunno - maybe???

By the time I arrived home and crawled into bed, I was oddly incapable of just falling back to sleep. It must have been nerves after having been rousted like a bum. Yeah, that and being completely over-tired in the first place; but sleeping was not on the menu - at least not right away.

The little bit of sleep I did have this morning has been unsatisfactory; fitful, and more just on the fringes of nodding off and sleeping, really.

We had a pretty skeletal crew for the filming today (well, Day 3 - but technically it was Saturday {into Sunday}...these turn arounds are hard to explain/live through). The crew was small but effective, and the weather was great, too. It began hot and sticky, but cooled off into the later evening and overnight, so it was tolerable.

The issues between sound and the DP are escalating, and I have to wonder how it will all end (and when). I maintain a good rapport with the AD, and he sees the issues, so I will carry on until the hammer falls (or the other shoe drops, or whatever will be will be).

The shoot went slowly, and the same old exessive takes on each scene took place. The inevitable viewing of every other take took place, so the normal waiting beween scenes and retakes was eggagerated to ginormous proportions.

And then there were the "neighbors" who wanted to enter the motel complex to roost for the evening (around 3AM). Loud cars rumbling, and the requisite ghetto music (with loud bass) thumping as we set to roll camera and sound. After 15 minutes we were able to resume, but did experience their return a couple of times as we rolled...which meant having to cut and reset. Argh!

HOWEVER...the bright spot on the evening was as we had gotten 4 or 5 takes into the first scene, there was a long span where a discussion regarding shadows and a new camera angle took place, in which time the car decided that not opening the door meant it should lock itself for safety...with the keys snuggly in the ignition.

Oops!

Panic.

Anger.

"Hello, OnStar? Hi, we're shooting a movie and, well, um....."

No comments: