Pages

8.14.2012

Farewell to an icon

I haven't been blogging a lot lately. I've had my head down either looking for work or trying to knock out this current quilt (there's a looming deadline).

However, I do allow myself a little news here and there, and I was saddened to learn of the passing of Helen Gurley Brown. She was a one-of-a-kind sort who took no prisoners and told it like it was. There was no sugarcoating or mincing words with that chic.

Yes, she was a bit of a 'shock jock' in the sixties and seventies, but she was exactly what the female population needed to drive home Betty Freedan's point regarding equality for women - in the boardroom, the bedroom, and everywhere in between!

Her pioneering spirit, and determination to put men in their place, will be sorely missed, cuz they broke the mold when she was cast.

Rest in peace, Ms. Brown. Sincerest condolences to your family and dear friends. Thank you for all you did to make my world a little less competitive and a lot more open. I will try to keep your significant balls rolling.

No comments: