Pages

11.04.2012

Weekend flurry and furry

Glad to say the weekend is half over (slightly over half), and I will be back home again in the wink of an eye to continue with ongoing projects.  I hate leaving things in a lurch half through - or, in process.

We saw two deer cross the road in front of us as we left our subdivision early in the morning. I don't think Karl has seen deer that close up for quite a while, and it wowed him as they casually strolled from the curb on our right to the other side of the street. No running or frantic weaving and jumping. They simply stepped onto the roadway much as a pedestrian would in a crosswalk downtown.

It was enchanting in the foggy morning hours, and it seemed to set the tone for the hours ahead.

Karl had a good day in class; he presented his two-part project in front of the class (not easy for him to speak in front of a group of strangers) and listened to comments and suggestions with an open mind.  While he wasn't thrilled with the idea of sharing his two montages (because after the first two presenters - each only sharing one apiece - he was disappointed in the quality of his work), he did reluctantly come to understand the need for following directions and doing the best you are capable of doing, instead of just trying to get something done without applying yourself to the task. 

He came to understand that despite the arm-twisting, yelling fits, stalling tactics, and just out-n-out arguing about 'why this project was necessary at all,' that he did achieve a goal.  He saw that it was fulfilling and satisfying to stand among the small handful of folks who finished and complied with the requirements instead of slinking behind a desk and hiding because he had nothing to offer.

I honestly think he exhibited a great deal of pride after getting over the embarrassment and fright factors.  Although, I also feel that the following few assignments will also be met with stalling and lame excuses. [sigh]

Yea!

In other news:
Staying with the Gran for one overnight period.  Glad it helps the family, but sometimes I feel like a pinch hitter; only thought of, and called from the dusty dugout recesses when nothing else can be worked out. 

As I grow older my familial feelings shrink to encompass only a basic few people.  I feel less included in (and wanted by) what should be a sprawling group of folks - and so I distance myself even further to keep from feeling the sting.  Removing myself (or staying remote from situations - not just familial) before someone else has a chance to do it has always been a better operating standard for me.  I learned it in my teens as mom moved us around a lot, and it was a habit I had to re-institute in my twenties to keep from crumbling.

I am the outsider with a camera. The observer. We'll call you. One day. Every other month. Maybe.

Beating people to the punch has always been the way I navigate life.  It may not be a great way of life, but I am still walking the planet.  Bitter (maybe) but still walking.

Anyhow, I did manage to see Wuthering Heights for the first time!  Gran turned on her favorite movie channel, and there it was!

So, maybe the weekend wasn't "furry" so much as 'deer hide-y', and a little chaotic location-wise.

No comments: