Pages

11.27.2008

Turkey day...not my favorite holiday

Happy Thanksgiving, to one and all!

So I suppose you are wondering about that headline. No, I am not a turkey suffragette. I am not a fowl-sympathizer; nor one of those tree-huggers who goes too far in protecting all of nature. Let's face it...some of nature is pretty doggone delicious, and I am not ashamed to strap on a napkin and belly-up to a packed table full of victuals...fork and knife at the ready, to eat from the carcass of a beautifully roasted turkey. Yum yum!!

No, I would not feast at the expense of a lion or horned owl, or any other protected/endangered critter...I am simply saying I AM NOT A VEGETARIAN. Ohhhhhh, yuppy ding dong. You betcha. I am a meatatarian, and my meat headed sons and I are soon on our way to a lovely (albeit small) family feast.

As a matter of fact, I have just put apple dumplings in the oven to take to my grandma's for T-day dinner. (Got the recipe online, and I need to revise it a bit to make it work for another go-round.)

Nope, my dislike of this particular day - or, time of year, really - is that unemployment for me seems to be 'the thing'. Pervasive, in fact, right around the holidays. Those of you who really know me, know that I have been unemployed for quite a while now. Believe you me, I have been working on correcting the unemploymentedness. And I am going to do it without the aide of any government or state agencies - MOSTLY because they don't help, and don't really know how to. They simply exist so that the gov't/state can pay someone to have a job (other than myself) and they can say to themselves: "My, aren't we wonderful politicians and statesmen. Harrumph, harrumph, harrumph."

Yes, I know how crazy that sounds, but I have tried to look at this from so many viewpoints and I can't figure out how it is that a single mom of two, without a completed college education can jump through all of the mandated hoops from all of the unemployment office-type dealios, be identified as best performing certain jobs, and then not get any sort of monetary help from those agencies - or the state - to obtain said training?!?!?!?!

Sadly, now that I am joined by so many thousands more on the unemployment line, I have less of a chance of getting work, let alone any $ help for further training or sustainance. And this always seems to be a thing for me at this time of year.

Hey, somebody call a friend or relative with a job available and give them my name, PLEASE.

I thank you.

Happy Thanks Giving day to one and all!

No comments: