Pages

1.30.2009

...Doesn't feel like a Friday...

It feels more like a Saturday, and I have a sneaking feeling it's because the structure to my week is not as it was during a regular 5-day work week. I fear this is finally catching up with me, and so I must think of ways to combat the mindset from taking hold and settling in.

Yesterday I made four substantial loaves of banana bread, and the boys had the first one devoured before any of them had a chance to cool off. Yes, I had a slice or two (there's no beating - or resisting - warm anything out of the oven), and they were good. As of this morning there are two loaves left, but I doubt they'll last the weekend (through Saturday, really).

Over the weekend I made apple pie, and the crust came out great. I don't ever have trouble with crusts, but I put the pan on another cookie sheet before placing it in the oven...just in case of overflow from the apple juices. The result was a very nice, not too-browned, top crust!

The poor old oven has it's troubles, and it's a separate unit from the cook top. Besides being electric, and very small, uneven temps are commonplace and usually overcome by rotating and repositioning things during baking. I will be very happy when the half-wall is built and the new range/oven is installed. The gas line was run a couple of years ago and sits coiled under the butcher block table in the middle of the kitchen, along with the electrical connections and light switches for the overhead lights and pendants for the work area and eating counter.

The beautiful new stove sits in it's crate waiting. Sad but true.

I have come to the realization that I could probably build the wall myself, but I would definitely need help with the electrical and gas connections. Not something you monkey around with. So, maybe this summer I will take the next step and boldly pull the sub-floor up to start that half-wall which has been a long time in the offing. Sure would be a boon to have that done and the rest of the oak floor installed. I have wanted to extend the flooring into the kitchen and dining area for years. It stops abruptly where the wall between the street side of the house and the back half used to be. Time to finish things, I say!

Brian came home yesterday, disappointed that his composition class had been cancelled. He moped all evening (and I think still is) and was obviously derailed over having completed two very lengthy assignments for (now) no good reason. After spending so much time avoiding getting back on track with classes at OCC, he was finally excited and motivated. It was wonderful to see.

We contacted the counselor to ask if it would be possible to transfer into one of the full term classes which meets one day a week, just so he doesn't lose momentum...but Bud was hesitant and doubtful anything could be done. As we had to leave a message to broach the subject, it meant waiting to get some feedback. This morning he received a phone call regarding the possibilities, and was still speaking to Doug when he left for work. I am hopeful, but will have to wait until Brian comes home to find out what the news is.

Please keep your fingers crossed for good news on this front.

I am going to cut out another blouse or suit coat - I haven't decided which - but I am going to start another project in keeping with hopeful thinking. When another interview rolls around, I am going to be ready and dapper.

Have a great Friday and enjoy the last remnants of our snowy January.

No comments: