Pages

1.02.2009

Yes, I know...I missed the New Year salute

Happy New Year!

OK, now may I begin? [Thwacking forehead with palm]

Bah humbug and pardon me for stating the obvious and what everybody else is thinking. Just call me this year's bearer of poopy thoughts. Now, where's my crown?

I have come to expect nothing special or fun with the passing of the old year into the new one with the exception of bad programming on TV and a lot of unruly neighbors and drunken fruit heads on the roads, which - incidentally - causes me to worry over the safety of my son (and friends) on the road. My expectations shrink with each passing year, and so with the last dozen or so lost New Year's eves (more than that, truthfully) I have no more dreams of a fun night out - or in - with a sweetie or groups of friends, and I am a l m o s t OK with that.

Smokey bars and basement gatherings are not my thing. And while I love the idea of entertaining friends here one day, I can't bring myself to ask guests to drop by until things are much improved. [sniff]

When I was married, the spouse's idea of a good time was to drink beer all day until he passed out on the sofa. (Note: that wasn't a holiday activity...just the average daily state of affairs.) As midnight for the new year neared he would roll over, scratch himself meaningfully...and pass gas. Woohoo! Goooood times.

Hard to believe I am complaining, eh? Anyhow, from that time to now, let's just say... here we are. You would think my expectations had nowhere to go but up, right?

[Smirk]

I had always hoped to be able to go some place fun and new with the boys for the new year celebration, but it has never worked out due to work schedules or family commitments, and now I can't plan for much until the work (make that non-work) situation changes. This time around the boys were at home without me, and I was at my grandmother's apartment, in a darkened room watching old movies and listening to the fireworks going off at a house in the immediate vicinity.

Besides, with the way things are in Michigan - and the sad state of the economy all over the nation - what's to celebrate? Really...it's just another cold evening in the dead of winter, heralding the beginning of another 365 days with a new chronologic number. That's all.

Don't forget to write "2009" on your checks and important papers everyone.

No comments: