Pages

2.18.2009

Fervently knocking on wood

Making resolutions around the start of a new year is tradition.

I never make resolutions...mostly because I tend to make lists all the time, anyway. Then, those lists either follow me around, live at the bottom of my purse, get tacked to the fridge door, or are set down somewhere - only to be covered with another several documents or forgotten mail, etc. Sometimes inches of other things are piled on top.

I've mentioned before I have a sewing 'room', right (so I know this all sounds familiar to some of you)?

LAW of NATURE: All piles eventually end up in close proximity to the favorite work area.

Now, I go through my stacks to some degree periodically, eliminating paperwork, correctly filing other pieces, or finally reading and discarding - or dealing with - the last of it.

Hey, it may not be your system, but it works for me. :^P

At any rate, I've noticed lately that I've been tending to do more and more of this activity at an increasingly frequent rate over the last few months, so there is less to do each time. This is a good thing...I know. But I have also noticed that in clearing through the piles more frequently, I have also tended to put things - with a greater sense of significance - in some terribly strange out-of-the-way places in order to not misplace them for future need.

This has not been such a helpful thing, and now I am scrambling about, looking for a few key items which have become important for me to put my hands on quickly.

[Insert sounds of exasperation and raspberries here]

And you know how this works, right? You can picure the item in your hands the last time you placed it somewhere. Or, you can clearly remember having found it as you were looking for something else. You can remember with clarity taking the time to think or mutter to yourself: "I need to remember that this [widget] is here when I need it next week (or some such thing)."

Uh-huh.....r-i-i-i-i-i-g-h-t. Me too. That's what I did!

So where is it now?

I am resolving to not clean anything else (except for laundry and dishes), or mistakingly trick myself into believing I am doing something good by sorting and putting away anything which is going to bring on Alzheimer-like behavior in the future.

I know I will find it when I stop looking for it...when I least expect to see it (knock on wood), so I am going to watch a little TV and mentally unwind.

No comments: