Pages

2.17.2009

Tomorrow...already!?!?!

Is it tomorrow already?

Once I fed the girls and checked on the newly transplanted wisteria, I began the day by taking down the sheers one side at a time and laundering them. Before I could get the first five panels from the floor to the washer - after getting them down off the curtain rod - Cleo was burrowing in them and having a gay old time.

When Flop decided she wanted to play in the cloud of material piled on the floor, Cleo suddenly became very territorial, and the hissing and swatting ensued.

Once Flop was removed and Cleo was calm, Hobbes then took a chance, and began nesting in the folds.

OMGosh! What a bunch of sisters! I'll have to be faster with the next five panels. :^)

Planting fever is upon me BIG TIME, and I can't wait to get this year's gardening underway. After having played in the dirt yesterday, I desperately want to begin planting seeds and making flower babies. I can hardly wait to attack the garden and weeds this year, either! Watch out you thistle monsters, I'm comin' to getcha!

The packets of seeds I have from last year, and those I bought at a greatly reduced price just after Christmas, are calling my name. "Plant us! Plant us!" they scream. "OK, OK," I reply.

Today I placed the columbine and delphinium packets into the fridge to chill before planting. I know...I am pushing it by a couple of weeks, but I can't wait any longer. Anyhow, they need approximately 3 weeks or so in a cold place to simulate wintering in the flowerbed - it provokes the sprouting mechanism - and once they come out of the cold and go into some sprouting mix, it will be closer to time for planting 'everybody' else. The wait for these first packets to come out of hibernation will temper my itch for a bit, which will then be that much closer to the beginning of April - and more appropriate timing for actually getting a head start on spring and summer seedlings.

If I time it just right, and keep up with my deadlines, I could have some good sized plants to get into the flowerbeds by Memorial Day. I will keep you posted and, of course, be certain to maintain a photo log.

All of this is probably a subconscious way to fight off the doldrums and restlessness from the grey winter days, a relentless job search and the news that another snowstorm (and a day of rain) are on their way over the next couple of days.

So not cool.

For the time being, I am headed to the washer to retrieve my first clean set of sheers and rehang them. The next set will be done before the afternoon begins to fade, and I may even get an urge to continue with the last of my to-do list from yesterday. Big maybe.

Enjoy your tomorrow, and I will see you again soon.

No comments: