Pages

4.06.2009

Side trips

Let's hear it for the ol' winter one-two, eh.

The winter storm warning for this afternoon into evening has been cancelled, but the first wave of snow (which began sometime late in the evening into the early morning hours) was remarkable! Lots of inches here in 'Knob' territory.

Clarkston schools were not included on the list of closings during the morning news, so I was really quite surprised (or not) to find the elementary and alternative high school parking lots empty as I drove by to get to the recycling bin. Seemed odd and surreal to me (tho' I can't figure out why), but it makes no never mind.

Lots of vehicles in ditches, and plenty of broken trees and large branches laying in yards throughout the neighborhood(s). Poor trees were so ready for spring and they let their winter guard down. The weight and amount of the snow was too much, and [plink] voila! Down comes another half a tree here and there. A few short years after we moved in here, there was a tremendous ice storm in mid-April...so I am well aware it can happen, it just always amazes me when it does. The boys and I had to leave the house and the cats to fend for themselves for 4-5 days as the temps hovered in the 20's and the power remained off. I stayed local and came back to feed the girls and check on everything day in and day out, but the boys were away and warm for the entire time.

This time around, there are several thousand folks in Oakland county without power - and I am glad (thankful) we aren't included in those numbers.

Psst! Thank you, God.

Karl asked me to wash his hair before class today, and I didn't say a thing to him! If you know Karl, you will understand what a big deal it was, and he asked me to trim his beard, too! Holy smokes! So he walked out of here all duded up and suprisingly all together for a change. Baby steps, man, I'm tellin' ya.

I am going to attack the dirty dishes and vacuum a bit (beard trimmings and dust bunnies) before heading out to pick up Karl from school. Then there is a bit of prepping to do before gathering Brian and heading to Gram's for dinner and a visit. All the while the wind is whipping the trees and throwing the precariously balanced (and heavy) snow from the branches onto the cars and against the house. It makes a lot of noise when it strikes the windows and eaves, and the cats are all cuddled downstairs on the bed trying to ignore the sounds. Poor scardy cats.

Oh, I also need to make mom another copy of a composite music CD - the last one wouldn't play in her car for some reason, and since she didn't try it in any other player at home...

So, I will see you all another time, when the news isn't so boring and the time isn't so brief.

Stay well and safe, and be good to each other.

No comments: