Pages

12.05.2010

Home again, home again

Decided to come home (real home) over the "long" two day break. I think the entire crew felt the need for time away/off, and considering how much we've left to shoot, this was a necessary evil...but now we are in for a long stretch of hard work. I am thinking we most likely will not get another true two days in a row like this one again, although there may be a turnaround here or there that will get us a day and a half; we will most certainly be working 6 day weeks to get to them. But that's normal on a film.

I won't (shouldn't/can't) drive home for those days here and there, but I will be able to do a little 'recreatin'' on the other side of the state for those delicious hours off.

Six day work weeks are the standard in the industry, with one full 12-hour day off in between. Sometimes you gain a little extra time off when the production office schedules a turnaround to move from daytime filming to nights - or, from nights to days - and they then have to add acclimation time for that transition to the day off (ex: 12 hours + 8 hours = happy crew). So, you see, this unnatural two day break is a luxury, and I say "thank you."

We wrapped Saturday morning, after working 4:30pm to 6:20am (yes, Friday afternoon to Saturday morning), and on a larger scale project, all union, that overrun on the day never would have happened. That would have been a cost overrun of humongous proportions. Our AD was already wearing a mask of panic as it was. Poor Drago. They are working with some union folks behind the lens, so that little 2+ hour OT will create a little dough-re-me trouble - but there is usually some slush built into the budget for issues and extras, it just can't happen too often (if it happens at all).

I finished my paperwork that morning (yea for getting caught up and staying there), but the people in the prod office left early, so my chance to give them a copy left with the key to that door. It was odd walking to the parking ramp through empty streets - especially in downtown GR. Bustling downtown GR - it was a ghost town. It was a scene from "Omega Man," and I was Charlton Heston.

Drove through town to the nearest expressway entrance and headed for home. Home home. By that time it was about 7:50am, and I was drooping and physically fatigued. My brain was willing - on autopilot, but willing - although my body was pooped. At some point west of the city my eyes had had enough and were threatening to shut down. To me this signals that my brain has also decided to give it up, but I was having conversations in my head that would make you think otherwise. My main objective from that moment was to get to a rest stop and pull over for a nap.

A little before 10am or so I awoke from a light nap to find I was freezing, but fully awake and functional (I need to get a small pillow for the car to make naps like these 100% comfy, just to optimize the time), and I made a note to myself to let the car idle from now on - NO MATTER WHAT - just for the heat. Totally worth it.

Home just a squeak after 11am and greeted by Cleo's little disbelieving face at the window (awww) and a mound of freshly washed dishes in the strainer, and many more glasses in the sink and on the counter.

Took a shower (by the way, I am still frozen on the inside), did some laundry and vacuumed. Then I made the mistake of sitting down! What I need to do now is turn my internal clock around a bit more so I can get some rest before driving back, just to be ready for the long stretch of nights. I hate running out of steam while writing out the last of the reports following filming each day. Math and detail work is impossible when you are "brain stoopid."

I wanted to put out the trees and decorate them before going away again, but it looks like that won't be happening. I also wanted to help Karl get the last of his final project done, but he didn't film it, so setting sound to the video track is a no-go.

Jean came by in her Suburban so we could unload the books remaining from the earlier craft sale we sold some at. Karl helped to move them from the truck to the garage, and everything went back onto shelves. I had planned on selling more off at another show yesterday, but the last minute call to duty on this film sort of messed up those plans. Ah well...next year. Although, I am convinced to sell some online just to reduce the bulk and put more cash in the bank. Yes, it's work, but I am OK with the idea of keeping busy and making money.

The wind is howling outside, a foretelling of the snow storms they are predicting. I am praying the snow holds off until I am safely on the west side again, from there I will figure out the rest. For now, I am home; rubbing kitty tummies and leaving piles of catnip for the girls, making something nice for dinner for the boys and myself tonight, and enjoying the last of this reprieve. Tomorrow the game mask goes back on, and I am back in full scripty mode.

Stay well everyone, and be safe.

You'll find all of my quilting blog entries and photos now at: www.truenorthquilter.blogspot.com

No comments: