Pages

3.04.2011

Cravings

Cravings are curious things. I can understand them as a once-pregnant woman...and I can even remember having a few here and there during my time in college (and later, though my time at an eight-month vocational institution).

Well, today I began to crave pasta, smothered in a tangy tomato sauce. No meat, no cheese...just veggies and pasta, and a smooth sauce.

I knew how I would accomplish the sauce, that was easy.

Cook your favorite pasta while you prepare the sauce.

Heat a tablespoon or two of good olive oil in a pan over a medium (to low-medium) heat.

Toss in shaved or well chopped fennel - oh, about an eighth to a quarter cup. As the fennel releases it's lovely aroma and begins to wilt a little, add the tomato paste to the oil and stir to incorporate them.

As the tomato paste heats up (being careful not to let it scorch), gradually add a can of evaporated milk (NOTE: NOT "condensed milk") - stirring them together to make a smooth, creamy mixture.

Add a jar of quartered and marinated artichoke hearts - and the liquid they're packed in. Stir it all together and allow the artichoke pieces to warm through.

I salted very lightly and peppered liberally (we like freshly cracked pepper in this house). Added about a tablespoon of basil (maybe a bit less) and half a tablespoon of oregano (or maybe a little more).

At some point the sauce looked a little 'dry' (i.e; thick), so I spooned in half a cup or so of the pasta water and stirred that in thoroughly.

Once the pasta was cooked, it was drained and added to the sauce and stirred about until coated.

You can choose to add mushrooms (which I think would have been delicious) and possibly a light grating of fresh asiago or mozzarella to it before serving, but I kept this dish very simple, and man - was it ever tasty!!!

Goodbye, craving!

Remember, all quilt blogging and photos now at www.truenorthquilter.blogspot.com

No comments: