Pages

3.13.2011

Fat, fat, fat

That's all I'll say 'bout that.

Has everybody figured out what time it is? Have you run around the house resetting the clocks on your walls and on all of your appliances yet?

If not...don't worry about it. Give it six months and everything will right itself once again.

(Psssst! That method worked for me. I'm just sayin'.) And if you're gonna sit and stew about it....well, then get off your blog-reading butt and get busy! I'll be here when you get back.

I finally have the Ohio Star quilt stretched and pin-basted. Wahoo, what a chore!! I am fairly certain I will not ever make a quilt that size ever again - at least, not without sending it away for the stretching and basting portion. Holy cow, what an ordeal! I do not have the room or proper tools for that task; but thank goodness it is now at the quilting phase - and that is a tremendous relief. For more info go to http://www.truenorthquilter.blogspot.com/.

I spent a lot of time sorting through (and tossing) old paperwork, receipts, notes, correspondence, etc., and pretty well balanced my bankbook (for the first time in a long time).

I used to zealously sit with my bank statement as it arrived each month and meticulously balance to the penny. Somewhere along the line, over the last three years, my enthusiasm wained (beginning shortly after I lost my job). I stopped caring to see what was happening with the bottom line because it made me feel even more depressed than I needed to be.

I kept a nodding acquaintance with the total, just so I wouldn't dip into the red, but never felt compelled to keep an eagle eye on it because it was just too sad to see what had become of my nest egg.

Anyhow, over the last week I managed to sort most of the past two years out, and while not happy, I am comfortable (almost) with looking at the bottom line again (quickly and without concentrating).

With recent developments in Japan over the weekend - the earthquake and tsunami, and the subsquent aftermath - Brian is pouring over all stories and images on the internet. He is most worried over the fate of the host family he stayed with 6 years ago.

Brian was part of a very small group from his Japanese language class that went overseas as exchange students, and he stayed with a family in Chiba. The oil refinery that turned into a raging inferno is very near Chiba, and those first images of soy fields overtaken by the advancing waves were also from very near his host family's home.

We pray that his friends in Japan are all alright and escaped serious harm and loss.

The gig in Muncie for the end of March through April 21st has been pushed to August, and two big movies have been chased out of state by the new gov's asinine cuts to the incentive program. Bye-bye work. It's hard finding anything (job-wise) in the administrative field, close enough to home to make the meager $10 per hour count after putting gas in the car and trying to cover insurance. There aren't many positions any more that don't (ignorantly) require a bachelor's degree, either. For ten dollars an hour...are you freaking kidding me!

OK, I am sufficiently bummed. I am going to wash the dishes now, since the sink is full and we've run out of forks.

No comments: