Pages

5.06.2012

Lazy Sundays

We had plans to go a-visiting' today, but as the world turns....plans change. You know how that goes, right.

S'ok, though, the boys used a little portion of their day to groom the front yard (the backyard has once again turned into a mini-jungle), and I managed to get a bit of sewing accomplished. So the day was a good one! (~we just won't think about how much I wanted - and needed - to get a load or two of laundry washed~)

Early in the afternoon, Bud was standing at the kitchen sink when I pointed out the song we could hear from a nearby bird; this warbling champion has been serenading me all week, and I hate to say it, but I was unfamiliar with the feathered crooner.

As it happened, Bud pinpointed the song coming from our apple tree - and then he spotted the culprit!

He called me over to the window and we both stood there, mesmerized by a very talkative Boston Oriole. I couldn't believe it, but there he was!

I am familiar with their look but I have never heard one vocalize - so seeing it in the tree a mere twenty feet from the kitchen window (bouncing from branch to branch and having it sing out the entire time) was a great experience!

Not only that, but we heard a second oriole somewhere in the distance answering our little chap! What a conversation!

Our little oriole has spent the remainder of the afternoon flitting from backyard to front yard, all the while calling out his 11-note song. The mourning doves appear to be nesting in the crab apple in the front, and our usual line-up of blue jays and joyful cardinals are joining in the chirp fest!

This has been a good weekend, but now I need to stop cavorting and get back to studying.

[heavy sigh]

1 comment:

Rie said...

Feed the BIRD!!! And he will make your home is hotel while he is in town. Just put out a few goddies and and some water and next time when he is in the area he will come back to visit. Trust me this works!
Maria.