Pages

6.10.2012

Five! Count 'em...FIVE!

Five less chipmunks in my walls and under my stoop....and that's the way I like it.

Because I blocked the opening, it is impossible to tell if there are any more ready to try and see the light of day once again. I haven't heard the scratching and gnawing sounds I have become accustomed to around 5:30 every morning, so I wonder if we have managed to eradicate the colony in its entirety.

Today's victim had been sniffing around the opening for the past two days, and while he would dart into the hole, he never stayed more than a few seconds. When we frightened him by looking out the window, he would run for cover into the hostas and weeds....and not back into the hole - so I believe we 'offed' a stranger to the kingdom.

My fear is in unblocking the opening to their warren; allowing any others remaining inside to venture out and meet their doom. If I open it up to exiting critters, what more would I be inviting? I have already seen how quickly another would be willing to take up residence!

No thank you!

Chipmunk-icide was not the only activity today. Jean stopped by on her way home to take a morning stroll around the neighborhood. She dropped of another NYC-bound daughter at Metro Airport early in the morning, so we made plans to walk a bit in the coolest part of the day before she headed the rest of the way home.

After a good gab and some giggles, she very kindly drove Bud to work on her way home, and I continued to work on the quilt throughout the heat of the day. Thank you, Jean, it was a nice break!

Tomorrow should find me piecing together the back and then stretching the beast! I'll keep you posted in the quilting blog.

No comments: