Pages

10.24.2013

Last night's dinner brought to us by Yumm and E !

In a pinch I turned to ye olde pantry and dinner turned out fabulously well - and with a minimum of work.

I began with one large sweet potato, peeled, diced, and set to boil. While the spud was cooking, I measured off three healthy servings (and by "healthy", I mean overfull portions) of frozen broccoli and added about one cup of chopped spinach. Mind you, I buy a good deal of frozen veggies and use them in everything! We buy fresh, too, but frozen produce is a boon for cooking meals.

Once the brocco/spinach combo was steaming in the skillet, I added a spoonful or two of the sweet tater water to keep the green bits from scorching onto the pan. I cut one medium-size onion into a small rough chop, tossing it with a little butter into the same pan with the greens. When the onion began to look translucent I combined the entire lot and added a tad more water from the tuber 'bath'.

Tater cooked through? Yup, and so I removed it from the heat; drained off the water (pouring a little more into the veggie mix); placed the cooked chunks - and about 1/2 cup of remaining liquid - into a bowl and placed that in microwave to keep warm.

Washed pan and began saffron rice.

Added one jar of Trader Joe's Masala Simmering Sauce, and about 6 oz of water (with which I rinsed the jar) - of course - that all went into the vegetable mix and NOT the rice. Once this began to bubble, I turned the heat way down and added one can of chicken - YES! I said "can" (remember, I'm working out of my pantry). Chopped the chunks into smallish pieces and distributed it throughout the veggie mix. From there I added only a pinch or two of salt and a good grinding of black pepper.

With the rice still simmering, I finished prepping the yam by adding a pat of butter, about 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, a sprinkle of cinnamon, less than a sprinkle of clove, and a smidgen of nutmeg. One tiny pinch of sea salt and a grinding of fresh black pepper finished the seasonings, then I mashed the cubes by hand.

Voila! Dinner in two pans and almost no chopping, and it was GOOOOOOOOOD!!

You may now drool ~





No comments: