Pages

4.25.2010

Changes

Well, I have had a busy week, and not that I am not used to keeping busy, but the sources of my work and activities came from so many different directions and requirements that I had a hard mental time keeping up and not fretting about other things that didn't get touched.

Hopefully those untouched items won't bite me too hard on the rear end.Last night and today are the first times I have even gotten online since last week!  I wasn't even on the PC over the last 2.5 days, let alone looking at email or anything else - hello you FB people.

I am suddenly involved in an indie production happening in the D, after not having any contact from the producer in weeks and weeks.  As is the case, 'they' want your time and soul committed 100% to their cause immediately, and at the last moment - without warning.  My only real complaints are the distance to drive (in Brian's car - inconveniencing him) and the lack of pay - AGAIN!!  I am screwing up my nerve to broach the topic of compensation for the mileage.  Currently, I am required there a couple of times per week, but once preproduction is over and production begins (in two weeks) I will be the office PA (required to be there every day of production to answer phones and troubleshoot from homebase), and the two kids (who have been given the chance to kiss butt since February) will be set PAs.

I know putting your time in and networking and getting to know and be known is key, but geez!  How about a little thought on the production company's part towards my expending my capital and 'volunteering' my time for their glorification.  I am unemployed, and not a Rockafeller...I cannot support them in that fashion without feeling it in the end.  Something has to give and I would prefer it if it weren't my doggone overstretched budget!

Hello!!!!!  I am barely treading water as it is, and sometimes breaking the surface for a gasp of air to make the bills is a struggle without adding the expense of 'helping' local productions by using my dimes and nickels.

This is not the first time, and it most likely won't be the last time; and I wouldn't mind so much if I had some cushion in the bank or a way to supplement mom's $ help while doing these poor indies.  But really, can't somebody above the line understand "supporting the arts" is all fine and good, but if it means I am paying to work for you - you can start taking my name off of your contact list.

I know, I know.  Sour grapes.

Plus, I haven't had any time to sit and work on my reel (or any other projects of my own) in I don't know how long.  Being stationary (not going back to Livonia) should help, but now with this production ramping up, I am most likely still not going to be here enough to make any strides.

I planted seeds for the flower beds about 10 days ago...maybe more, and still no signs of any little sprouts, yet.  I need to plant the next two trays just to get that chore over with, and then make my way out to the yard to begin doing what is necessary to get rid of weeds and prepare the beds for the plants once they do sprout and grow to a good transplantable size.  Also, we are excited about planting veggies and herbs, again.

Keeping the kids on task is hard to do remotely.  Keeping them motivated is impossible whether I am here or there (wherever that may be).  Because they have dragged their feet about registering for summer classes, my fear about whether they will be able to take anything (now that I am bitching about it in their ears) is probably going to be a reality.  One more semester lost to apathy and lack of motivation.

Please, Lord, something has got to change.  I am ready to receive your blessings.  Thank you.

1 comment:

Rie said...

Hi Beth, I've got the perfect book for you...I'm half way through it...or better yet, I'll send you one of your own. It always good to highlight things that you like. Look for it in the mail within the week or so. Not sure how long it will take, but I'll be sure to mail it tomorrow. Think of it as an early Birthday Present!