Pages

12.18.2012

Un-freakin-believable

On the road taking care of business, on my way to a destination (with a time line to stick to), and I am stuck in the "fast lane" (you know, the far left, passing lane) southbound on Telegraph, and people are moving frustratingly s-l-o-w.

Why are they moving slow? you would ask yourself.  Well, I did.

I know others were.

When given the opportunity, I moved to the right - out of the passing lane - and proceeded to pass the obstruction, which had been about seven cars ahead of me.  There, at the head of the line of traffic, blithely unaware of the plight of everyone behind her, drove a woman in a black minivan.....having a conversation with one (or more) of the three young people in the back of the vehicle! 

"People can have conversations with others in the car and still drive," you counter.

Well, for the most part I would tend to agree with you.  But NOT this broad.

Her conversation kept her oblivious to the fact that she was impeding traffic in several ways - mostly by moving along at the blistering speed of thirty-seven to forty-miles-per-hour, when the speed limit is a posted fifty - and most folks clip along at roughly fifty-five to sixty through much of Bloomfield Hills and far western B'ham, etc.

Her conversation was a clear distraction.

Her conversation was with her hands!

No, I don't mean she was 'Italian-talking.'  I mean this chic was having a conversation using ASL, for crying out loud!  A full blown, American Sign Language, Helen Keller, I-can-see-you-but-I-can't-hear-you kind of dialogue with a passenger in the back of the vehicle, so her attention clearly was not on her driving.

"HEY!  Hang up and drive, you loon!" I wanted to yell.  But she wouldn't have heard me if I had.

She wasn't paying attention to what was going on around her - AND SHE WAS DRIVING!!!

No comments: