Pages

7.17.2009

D minus 2

I haven’t fallen off of the face of the state, but it feels as though I have. I arrived in Grayling two Mondays ago, and after finding my way to the base, I hit the ground running. I began my stint performing PA duties – lots of moving and organizing, making lists and writing inventories (which was appropriate, as my second duty here – my chief duty - is as the Records/Reports person). You may think of me as the Bookkeeper if it helps. I work for the head honcho – the Project Manager, and his name is Tank.

As I said, I worked as a PA for a bit, but quickly moved to my first true position as a Casting Associate, working with the Casting Director. Yup, this is the second time I‘ve held that moniker, and this opportunity provided more of an education and true intelligent methodology over the last turn. We spent four days bringing people in for paperwork and look-lou’s – that is to say, decisions were made on the spot as far as who to hire, who to keep in the wings as replacements just in case, and who to send home without a second thought.

The days are long, despite the one hour lunch we supposedly get. Aw, there’s a bunch of garbage the state needs to hear, and companies tell them via timecards…remind me to tell you some day. But 12 hour days are long no matter how you break them up. We are fed breakfast – if you want to drive to the hotel in town very early to have some. Because of our start time, breakfast is served at 4:30 and ends at 6 (for us). I have since been given a bit of a reprieve, and my day begins at 7:30, but that is to facilitate being able to write reports from the end of day information which can only be gotten from the Dept Heads (DHs) and Field Directors (FDs) once they come back from the box.

So, my fate for the next few weeks is sealed.

This morning, I woke feeling pretty well rested for a change, but for some reason my eyes and brain conspired to get me out of bed and up to COB FOB early.

When I left my apartment it was sprinkling, so no walking. Driving the mile and a half to the trailers saw it become heavier, but it wasn’t until I was in the parking lot that I looked at the car clock – and to my surprise it said 6:29. I thought, this has to be wrong somehow, and I leapt from the car and bounded up the stairs. Not wanting to be late for the morning meeting I skipped clocking in, but found nobody in the meeting area. I turned on my cell phone for the time, and voila! 6:30!

At that time, Tank walked in and looked at me funny. I grabbed up my bag and keys and said “See you in an hour.” He broke out in laughter and I hot-footed it to my car.

The weather here has been cooperative and lovely, as far as I am concerned. No rain to speak of, even though it’s been on the weatherman’s tongue the majority of days, but there have only been two days with any measurable rainfall – today was one of them. Every day we’ve had a constant breeze or full blown wind tunnel-type gusts. Feels great, and is it ever welcome when the sun beats down. There have been no delays in building and prepping the villages, and all other components are assembled and ready to go. Even the non-working hooptie is working now. The last two days there have been pushes to the box – dry runs for the teams to practice all their duties and test time frames.

So, we are a go. Day one is Sunday, and as tired as we are, everyone is excited for it to begin. Adrenaline levels are sky high and rising, and it is still a huge jumble of choreographed chaos. This is the fourth exercise this team has put together, and as familiar and knowledgeable as they are with the processes and requirements, there is always something to improve, work around, fix and deal with.

It is a military production; run very much like a film production, but using military guidelines and on their bases and within their restrictions.

I will write more in a day or two, but for now it’s time for me to move on in another direction.

No comments: