Pages

7.03.2009

What's it all about, Alfie?

Days are ticking by, and over the last week I have finally begun to receive more than just work to do - meaning: I have finally been sent my deal memo and all of the many other forms necessary to sign when joining a production.  Except, with this being a production for the armed services [read: government], there is a mountain of work behind the usual non-compete form and deal memo, behind the right to work form and tax form, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera  (as Yul Brenner would have intoned).

I am nearly ready to go.  My goods are mostly assembled, and all of my laundry is done, save for the bits I brought with me to Gram's.  I am mentally ready (nearly enough, I suppose), and despite the fact I am leaving with heavy concerns surrounding the boys and things that need doing, I am excited and eager.

My reservations and eagerness are equally matched at this point, and I am anxious over things at home that are in need of immediate attention...but now I have to focus all of my attention forward to my time in Grayling.

Currently, I am at Gram's, working on the last couple of days on my calendar.  An aunt phoned from St. Helen this afternoon to say she saw the casting "article" for the production I am working with in her local paper.  So, if she spotted it, then there are many more folks in MI who are excited, curious and wanting to get busy with this.  It could be a zoo on the 9th, or it might be a bust - we shall see.

There is still the matter of the car issue for Brian, but I can't focus on that right now.  

My biggest regret is how little time and attention is left to concentrate on Karl's birthday after all is said and done.   He turns 20 in just a couple of days, and I won't be able to make it special in any way, shape or form for him.  

For now, I am concentrating on tying up loose ends - as well as I can from a remote location - and preparing myself for the last several hours I will have at home once I am relieved at Grandma's on Sunday.  It will be a sprint to the finish line, and then sleep (perhaps), and then 230+ miles to work and my next six weeks or so.

I feel like Gulliver, Alfie...what's it all about?

No comments: