Pages

7.22.2009

D+4

Some folks are asking specifically what it is I am doing in Grayling, aside from getting paid. Describe your job...your day. In a nutshell, here is a brief description of the mindset for the next 2.75 weeks (and for the past nearly 3.5 weeks):

You must be able to interpret a lot of acronyms on the fly, and be able to think in military time. You must be able to let your mind scramble and tackle many issues at once, listen to every conversation and filter out extemporaneous info, and then act on the important needs. You must be able to take any alteration to the matrix (a very detailed planning strategy/diagram) or problem with a grain of salt and find a work-around in short order. You need to be proactive and be able to follow directions – ask questions where something isn’t clear, and not waste any time or syllables in communicating. My job is a mix of everything, but mostly stationery desk work – which I am not fond of.

Not.

Not fond of, at all.

I am good at it, but I would rather be more involved in the creative portions…or the action, instead. My job this time is crunching numbers, filtering information, creating and keeping detailed notes and disseminating information. I am a bookkeeper. I am what would be considered the Line Producer (or at least one half of an LP) in a film production.

This is not a film job. The military is filming portions of it for use in training further down the road, and to help secure funding to make this happen all over the US for months to come...but it isn't anything the general public will ever see. It isn't top secret, but it isn't for the eyes of the general public - for reasons I will explain another time.

I began as a Casting Associate, and once that chore was over I was moved to my duty position of Reports and Records. I am, as they say, “Tank’s Girl.” He is the Project Manager and I am his ‘assistant,’ for the most part. But that isn't my title - I don't do coffee!!

My boss, Tank (Terry), is a good man (a retired First Sgt.), and has brought his daughter Sara, along, so that she can work a bit (and capitalize on some $$) before beginning college in a few weeks. By all accounts she is having a good time, and learning a lot about production work, and what it is her dad does for weeks on end when he isn’t home. A military production is far different than a film or TV production, but there are so many similarities that the production folks are right at home working within the confines of the military big brother watching and dictating.

Sorry to cut this short, but there is a raging storm coming up and I need to pack and hit the road and get away from the metal trailer I am sitting in. I promise to give more details shortly.

Thanks for looking in, I miss you all.

No comments: