Pages

7.05.2009

Happy Birthday, Karl!!!

20!

An important milestone for any teenager: to no longer be a teen. To cast off the last remnants of childhood and adolescence as you approach adult status.

To be able to answer any one's query of your age without having to also use the suffix "teen."

Of course, the last momentous right of passage happens only 365 days from now - when you pass completely into adulthood at the age of 21.  

Every child seems bent on becoming 21 - the 'magic' age.

Well, my advice to you, Karl, my lovely youngest child, don't be in such a big hurry to grow up.  You will have the rest of your adult life to wonder what happened to your youth, and ask yourself repeatedly, "Why was I in such a hurry to grow up?"

Don't be!  Don't be in a rush to see the next 60 to 70 years unfold.

In the words of Simon and Garfunkel... "Slow down, you're movin' too fast. You've got to make the mornin' last."  Personally, I believe they were talking about life and our early years.  Make your morning last, Karl. We have all the time in the world for the rest of your life.

Happy 20th birthday, my young son.  I love you.

No comments: