Pages

6.04.2010

Only the 4th day of June, already

Happenings in the month of June are usually a little out of whack, mostly due to the exit of May. That whole 3-day-long-weekend thing - because of Memorial day - usually shortens the week of and throws off the schematic business-day count, and generally screws with when your trash gets picked up, mail delivery, due dates for monthly bills, doctor's office hours and so on.

I mean...do you take a bath and change your underwear that week or not? It just seems I can never remember from one year to the next if we should put the trash out or not on Friday, or wait 'til Saturday (which just doesn't seem right).

Anyhow, this month is no different than last month weatherwise - rain, rain, rain. The days may begin dry and hopefully sunny, but as the day progresses, so too, the clouds roll in and eventually give way to anything from a soaking to a deluge. And the mosquitoes have finally made their presence known! Can't open the front door without a brigade charging in - and just as I was thinking to myself how nice it was to have so few. So, I may have jinxed it. I did all of my earlier gardening mosquito-free...and loved it. Now, I need a hat with netting just to step out for the mail. Ay carumba!

My desire is to sand, then paint, the posts of the portico over the front porch; they need it badly. They've needed it for the last two years, but Harvey kept me from doing anything useful or strenuous or fun. Now, so long as I do not overdo it I can work a lot (er...make that "a little") more and get things done. Improvements, gardening, moving furniture, etc. Yea!

It feels good to be able to move and stretch (with caution) and exercise (again, with discrimination and caution), and it has been making a dent in my size! Small changes are better than no changes. Oh, and most definitely downward small changes are INFINITELY better than upward changes in my numbers. I will take what I can get, and continue to be most thankful.

If I could only make a big dent in the fat pad that grew around the Harvey mass, now that the twisted batch of ripped peritoneal lining and musculature is gone/mended, and the 6"-8" of twisted and perforated bowel has been eliminated, I would be a happy person.

Ah well, it is time to don a layer of mosquito repellant and head outside to shake off the flowerheads that survived the last rains, and stake them up again. Their run in the garden is nearly up for the year, but I intend to get the most out of the time that is left. I also need to scope out where to plant my starters - the Cosmos, Zinnias, Sweet Pea, Sunflowers, Thunbergia, Bells of Ireland, Hollyhock, et al that have grown so wonderfully from seeds. They need to get into the ground soon! There is also a bunch of cut branches and the like that require bundling before the grass grows too much around it. So far, so good.

My plan for 2010 was to re-establish the back beds, too, but the weeds haven't even been tackled there to any degree, and I have no room whatsoever cleaned out for any new plants there. Sad to say - and I had such high hopes for this year (for myself and the flowerbeds).

Job news - I did hear from one of the latest positions I applied for, and the answer was that the job was already filled, but that they would keep my resume in case they find they require more editing hands. Ah well.

No comments: