Pages

6.08.2010

So far, not a terrific week

Karl's summer class begins tonight - that is a yea! He will have classes for the next ten weeks at the CCS campus (directly behind the Detroit Institute of Arts). So yeah, a bit of a drive, but it should be worth it in the long run.

Brian is still not awake, and I will be on the road soon to test drive a Scion xD (or, is it the manual xB they had?) - I can't keep it straight any more. Anyhow, in order to order the car I think I want, I really should drive that particular model, first. Ya know? Don't you think that makes sense? It has been hell trying to find an xD within 50 miles, let alone finding a stick to test.

I pray when Bud wakes up he finds his hearing is far improved. If not, then we will deal with next steps.

The nasty slice in my righthand ring finger is healing, thank you. Opened it up pretty good Sunday early in the afternoon while doing dishes. The handle of a small fry pan impacted a small glass in the water, and it must have been at just the right angle and force to crack the glass. When I reached in with three fingers and the sponge to wash the inside, SNAP! It was an odd instant series of sound, sensation and then surprise, shock and discomfort. Once I realized that, yes, I was cut, and no, I hadn't stopped turning the glass in my hand, yet - I immediately let loose of everything and removed my hand. I could hear the grinding of the glass pieces against each other, and I could feel the stinging of the fresh wound and the soapy water in the cut.

Blood streamed out and into the dishwater, so I reached over with my left hand to turn on the cold tap to begin rinsing it. The cut was not deep enough to hit bone, and it just missed the little blue vein that runs the length of the inside of the finger, so lots to be thankful for. Yeah, should've had 2-3 stitches, according to the people at Brian's doctor's office, but who has the money for that (and esp. since it was a Sunday, clinic hours would have been too expensive). Brian drove to the store and picked up more gauze and large bandaids to wrap around it (love you, Bud).

Jean and Barb arrived not long after and we debated a little about what to do. Mom said there was an 8 hour window of time where stitches can be useful, but after that.... :^P

We had plans to turn in our useless gold things for cash, and that was what we proceeded to do. After that, we went to the drugstore and bought a splint, Neosporin, butterfly strips and some really cool mesh that sticks to itself to better dress (and immobilize) the finger (thank you, ladies). The bleeding stopped while we were out and I have had it trussed up like a mummy ever since. Our hands are amazing things, and you never fully appreciate how it is that all of your digits work together for simple tasks until you can't use them normally, without thought to the processes.

Taking notes for Karl is going to be a riot - so hopefully this first class is more like most first classes, and takes the long way about introducing what will be happening, the goals, teacher's introduction and credits, blah blah blah.

By the way, my other activities are sidelined until I can flex the finger again without tearing the gash open - but that should be (hopefully) by this weekend!

More another time, for now, I have a few errands to get done this morning.

No comments: