Pages

2.22.2011

Annoying

Solicitors.

People who knock on your door and disturb your day. People who are not invited or desired, who arrive to offer you a service you do not want or can't afford. They act as though they are offering you the greatest thing since sliced bread. They try to finagle their way into your home as though bravado their will prevail. They won't stop trying even as the door closes in their face and you've said "no, thank you" for the sixth time - and it's freezing and my door is open (but not for long).

Those schmucks who choose you because of the icicles hanging from your gutters. Or because the two trees in your yard are meeting in the middle. Or because your sons haven't shoveled your driveway, yet (although Bud and K did make a valiant effort late yesterday afternoon). Or because your driveway doesn't have a black tarry coating on it - like everyone else's. Or because the weeds and crabgrass outnumber the blades of actual grass in your lawn.

Well, maybe I like it this way!!!!! Did you ever consider that? And hey! What are you trying to say, anyway?

Of course, there are many other sorts of solicitors:

The religious set. [ahem] I believe in God and I do not need to discuss my faith with a stranger, but if you thump your bible on my porch, I will thump your head - on my porch, down my driveway and out into traffic!

The aluminum siding set (I have a brick house - duh).

The new windows and door set (my windows are new, and if you knew your business you would have been able to discern that before knocking on my door).

The insulation set (been there, done that - you snooze, you lose).

The timid set who bombard your mailbox and leave their "ads"/fliers in your box (shame on your people), or wedged in the flag on your mailbox (this is why I removed the flag on my box).

The Fuller Brush set (selling general trash or leftover frozen goods out of their truck).

The help-me-through-college-and-subscribe-to-four-magazines set (hey, sonny - I already receive three issues of the newspaper I can't finish reading in a week!).

Oh my gosh, the list goes on and on, and we haven't even gotten to the phone dweebs, yet. But let's tackle that brand another day, shall we?

Unlike those doggone solicitors, I know when to quit - because anything more on the list would have been annoying.

If you're looking for my quilt updates, all blogging and photos are at: www.truenorthquitler.blogspot.com

No comments: