Pages

2.26.2011

Just another day

Upon waking this morning I permitted myself the luxury of hanging out in bed and finishing a book I began reading Wednesday - during the dental day. The girls were obliging, and as it was early their stomachs were not sounding an immediate alarm, so instead of covering a couple of chapters I dove in and finished what there was left to read. It was utterly refreshing and very grown up (I thought), and perhaps it will happen again in the near future. I love to read but don't generally allow myself that sort of leisure time, although that may change...who knows.

To be fair to the girls for having allowed me to read (with only minor pauses and prutting interruptions), I immediately clamored out of bed and began a vertical day.

It's my habit to make my bed every day....as soon as I get out of it....unless I plan on hopping back in - which almost never happens. And as I drew the sheet and covers up over the pillows this morning, I was struck by how warm they still were in my hands. It was strangely comforting the warmth of the two blankets and the sheet. How is it I have never noticed this before?

And then I began thinking how badly I wanted a quilt of my own on my bed. Where that thought came from I can't say (it had something to do with the squishy bed warmth), but it quickly translated to a compelling urgency to head to the sewing machine and really dig in to the current quilt taking shape.

Fed the cats, looked over email and job sites, witnessed Cleo begin a day of vomiting (still trying to ascertain what and why), cleaned up behind her then sat with her for a while to ease her little kitty psyche. Once Cleo seemed OK, I set to work on a row of blocks for the border.

Seaming the four squares was a breeze, applying the new row to the side of the quilt top was a bit of a A) headache; B) pain in the butt; C) challenge; D) task requiring three sets of hands.

Don't ask me why, I have tried to figure out the mechanics of where the row attaches with ease and a perfect fit along one edge, but becomes a mathematical Mount Rushmore nightmare on the next. However, I am armed with plenty of patience (and a pair of scissors) for the remaining two sides.

Hey! Whatever it takes.

Anyway, the intersecting corner of the two completed sides looks pretty darned good, so there is hope for the remaining half. A photo of the corner (and the interior sashing borders I had to add for mathematical reasons) resides on http://www.truenorthquilter.blogspot.com/2011/02/whew.html. Tomorrow I will begin to mark the top for quilting, and I really hope to stretch it and get down to quilting by next week.

Brian has gone to hang out with friends in Holly, playing some card game or other. The weather is awful - more snow endlessly falling from early afternoon til dark (most likely it is still falling). Weather dude said there was a possibility of receiving three inches or more, so needless to say I am none too thrilled about Bud out driving in this stuff - especially after dark. Ah well, he'll soon be 25, so one of us will have to stop being such a mom I s'pose.

Karl reluctantly spent some time working on 'the monster' (editing suite) this afternoon - and it took a good deal of nagging to get him there. He loves Maya, but getting him to work in the program lately has been a real "......" (see earlier multiple choice answers).

Made potato pancakes this morning (can't figure out why when I could have thrown frozen waffles at them from across the room and been done with it). The latkes were tasty, though, so it worth the effort and time. Need to find a way to drain off the liquid from the shredded spuds without having them turn brown.

Today I enlisted Brian's help and had him stir and squeeze off the spuds in a colander until they were much drier - but of course, that doesn't mean anything 30 minutes later! Potatoes are an endless source of liquid. Period!

Just received a text from Bud asking me to move his laundry, please, into the drier. Seems he forgot to do that before he left. Yup, that and the cat box. [forehead smack]

Boys!

With that, I bid you a "good night" and head off to tend to a couple of small things before I decide how to spend the balance of my snowy Saturday evening.

No comments: