Pages

6.17.2013

Goliath

Moved a lot of stuff yesterday afternoon in order to get to the wall I wanted to fix (and ultimately paint).  Another crack had developed around the framing of the window which once existed in the south wall, so besides the fact that the color was wrong, I also couldn't get past seeing that darned crack reappear!

In all honesty, I noticed the crack a few years back, but had turned a blind eye to it for a lot of reasons, but all of that has changed recently.  I won't go into it now, just trust me when I say I've hit my limit.

I have been ruing the day I ever began rehabbing/remodeling this typical 1950's ranch-style house.  Oh, for lots of reasons, but mainly because of all of the rotten people who I ended up trusting and hiring, and who ultimately let me down.  I am a fairly poor judge of character it appears. 

All of that a n d it seems repairing one item seems to make another two or three issues come to light.

But this morning, I awoke feeling a bit more hopeful after yesterday's burst of renewed energy. 

I moved all of the boxes of stored dinnerware (which still cannot go "home" because that space is nowhere near ready for it), began the drywall repair in a fairly big way, and pared down the color choices to paint that expanse of wall, the adjoining joist-into-hallway wall (and the living room ceiling) to no more than five colors!   Two for the overall wall, two possibles for the ceiling and maybe two for the joist (but one of those is a very strong contender)!

"That's six!", you yell.

Hey, I can count.  Don't worry, my math is sound - two of those are the same color for different purposes...so it's all good.

Trust me, this is a big change.  It's a BIG commitment.  I've had it with the 'someday' attitude I've fallen into!  I want my house back!

At any rate, with all of the moving, vacuuming, and prep cleaning, I disturbed a spider.  A wolf spider.  Hey, it was bound to happen.

In fact, it was a very large wolf spider. 

I didn't see anything of him all day yesterday, but I had my suspicions we would meet one day when I found a lot of cobweb-y stuff.

"How large?" you wonder. 

Let me just say when I caught sight of him running an Olympic sprint across the half wall very early this morning - and he was pulling a VW Beetle behind him at the time - he was astounding!  He was booking, baby! 

I mean to say he was one of the largest I had ever seen indoors or out, and superfast.  Why he stopped moving when I approached him with a shoe is beyond me; except, maybe because he has been living in this house for an apparently good long time, he was most likely used to the noises and comings and goings.  Nothing was going to faze this Godzilla arachnid, least of all a freaked out fat woman with a sneaker.

And I truly believe this spider was also probably the one who moved the frig away from the wall one night!

Yes, THAT large!  I'm telling you........even Flop wouldn't approach it, and she loves chasing down bugs and spiders when she spies one.  LOVES it!

My big fear right now is that this eight-legged behemoth may have been a mommy and not a dude.  So, do I need to worry about revenge from a hoard of angry gargantuan babies any time in the near future?

No comments: