Pages

6.05.2013

People. Go figure.

Somewhere over the last 48 hours I received a comment on the ol' blog (which wasn't your ordinary, everyday SPAM, and which I haven't approved), and it had nothing to do with the posting 'commented' on. 

Nothing to do with me. 

No questions; no suggestions (terse or otherwise) regarding a previous issue I may have posted; no "how-do-you-do" or similar pleasantries. 

Just an invitation.  Yes, I am aware Stevie Nicks said: "Just an invitation would have been just fine," but in this case....it wasn't.

Woo me!  Yes, I used the word "woo."

- - - - Sorry, I seem to have wandered off topic.

Wait, I think I may have misspoken, too.  In fact, this annoying 'comment' was a suggestion - after a fashion.

The non-comment comment said simply: "you are invited to follow my blog" (Yes, I included the punctuation he used.)

Well, I am pretty certain if I wanted to follow a blog I wouldn't have to wait for an invitation.  Most folks would be happy to have others flock to their blog and click on the old "follow" button without having to ask.  But to troll the blogways and willy-nilly tell people "you are invited to follow my blog" without the thoughtfulness of the act of reciprocity, well.....[sputtering and harrumphing]. 

Where's the rationale'?  Where's the touch of friendliness....the human interaction of the suggested transaction?

See, here's the thing -
 If you are already counting several hundred (or thousand) people who 'follow' your blog, and you are inviting someone else to join in, try an email invitation as opposed to a fake comment.  Start a 'conversation' instead of employing the Jehovah's witness tactics and methodology, Steve, and allow those new acquaintances to make their own decisions based on other factors over the course of a few emails. 

Personally, I tend to respond better to a straightforward and honest approach. 

Of course, if you tip-toe and pussyfoot around a subject I tend to 'get' that sort of thing too, but I prefer to get to know someone using a variety of information, and I make my decisions based on a lot of external data.  I shy away from overt BS and those using overt BS.  I make exceptions for friends because, by the time they are friends, you have come to know and understand all of the cues and subtleties (and not-so subtleties) of the friendship dynamic.

By the way, when your reply to my "no thank you" response to your (initial) 'comment' arrived from an alter-email-ego named "Steve Player".....I thought to myself, "case closed!"

Steve PLAYER.  Such an anything-but-Christian nom de plume.

Yes, by all means, share the word of God, but try introducing yourself in a different way.  Hammers and caveman clubs don't get it for me.  Maybe it works on those more simpleminded or less cynical.

No comments: