Pages

4.30.2012

Changes

It's funny, isn't it, over the course of a lifetime (or a span of years within that lifetime) how we get used to something. How we come to expect a phone call on our birthday from a certain someone, or a Christmas cards from particular friends over the season.

When you open your email, there is always a note from a friend to start your day, or to remind you that you aren't alone or forgotten.

I had this. I had become used to a phone call from one of my uncles on my birthday. I don't know what prompted him to begin this tradition, nor do I know if he held this kind gesture out for other cousins, or for my brothers....I only know that in recent years I began to wait for the phone to ring each passing year just for that call.

Psychologically I believe I have come to depend upon this due to a severe lack of trustworthy and decent men in my life - but that my be over analyzing it a bit. Not that I thought of him as a father-figure, but just a dependable male soul who cared. Not because he had to, but because he wanted to.

When I was but grade school age he also imparted boy advice and counseling. When there were boy-troubles on the playground I could always go to him and ask, "Why do boys do that?" (whatever it was), and he would always tell me the truth (as unbelievable as it was) and give me advice on how to handle it.

Life changes; people change, too. He'd had changes in his life which kept him from calling on the day last year....but the day after, there he was! We had a nice chat and caught up on everything as usual, and life was good.

It's always the simple things, right?

Well, this year, there was no call. Not from him, anyway, but from an aunt who somehow filled that void and reached out. We chatted for about three hours, and God bless her for not falling asleep, but I could tell a time or three that her other responsibilities were tugging at her, so we said our goodbyes and let life roll on.

A dear friend texted me on the day, and I had other greetings and well wishes from friends and fleeting co-workers.

I received several cards in the mail, mainly from aunts, and of course, my mom - and one surprise card from a cousin in CA!

Much later in the day, mom and I finally got the chance to talk before she left for work (since I had my cell phone off and charging early in the morning), and the boys and another dear friend supplied me with cake and a tasty meal!

All-in-all, it was a nice birthday, so can someone please tell me why is it that I still miss that particular uncle phone call?

No comments: