Pages

3.24.2009

Uh oh, Karl is pukey

I began penning this entry (because if I had said: "I began fingering this...", [Pssst, meaning "typing"] nobody would have been able to get past the first line) and Karl was already in the throes of his bug or viral thing. While his bouts and trips to the bathroom are infrequent - thankfully - it hasn't yet come to an end.

I heard suspicious noises and hurried out of the library only to find Karl quickly entering the bathroom in a frantic state.

He began tossing his dinner around 2:30 a.m., and I would never have known that had Brian not come to me to inform me that his little brother was wretching like a fiend.

As I began to climb out of bed, Brian told me Karl was actually back in bed himself, and that he would let me know if any other activity happened. Now, normally, I would have been up the stairs like a shot and hovering and fussing, but Bud seemed confident - and eager - to assume the mantle of Vomit Monitor, so I let him. Although, as any mom knows, you don't easily let go of those reins and fall asleep knowing something is amiss under your roof. So I lie there, in the dark, thinking about not thinking about it. A complete waste of non-sleep time. How do you not worry?

I suppose that is why people drink. No clues = no worries.

Anyhow, Karl had no other trips to the bathroom last night, and up until right around 8:30 this morning, he was episode free (with the exception of heave-ho number one). So, now, he's pretty regular, having to hit the head every two to three hours. Poor kid. Still, that's better than it could be, right?

I divide my time between sitting with him and checking to see if there are any requests for ice chips, water, Pedialyte, etc., and doing some house work or sending out resumes.

Brian is getting ready to leave for class, and he is armed with information about/for Karl's tutor, letting her know K won't be in today.

2:45p.m.

Hobbes has taken it upon herself to be the medicine cat, sleeping with Karl, or just putting up with the groaning and movement. She is quite the trooper (although, I suspect she began with ulterior motives. Karl loves a good breeze in his face when he feels ill, and has opened the window above his bed for fresh air - she sticks her nose out for a snootful every once in a while, too).

4:17p.m.

Karl is less tortured with getting sick, now, but it all seems to be moving 'south' and concerning him in other ways. While he still feels slightly nauseated, we are sort of happy that the throwing up is over and that he is now hungry. I made jello cups this morning, and he is having the first helping. Let's see how it goes.

I trust everyone is well, and that all your loved ones are in tiptop shape. Enjoy the day.

No comments: