Pages

2.20.2010

Before I go

I managed to finish the breakdown sheets last night, late last night, (the stay at Gram's has been a bumpy ride, to say the least), and round about 3:16A.M she entered my room and turned on the light to tell me she is having pains...same as when she went to bed.

Mind you her constant pain is from brittle bones breaking (or having broken before) or disintegrating, and the discomfort of things rubbing and being out of place and just being old.

I am not discounting her discomfort or dismissing it away - it is real and no doubt not easy to live with. She didn't take care of herself earlier on, and extreme old age is not being kind.

But she knows I must get up early enough to get out the door for Ann Arbor to attend the second part of a workshop I began last week. Her frequent nocturnal trips - and the noises that accompany the journey - are somewhat easier to sleep through, but a deliberate wake-up call could not be ignored.

She wanted to call a daughter-in-law to ask what should be done. Maybe I should have let her. She asked questions and couldn't hear my answers because she hadn't "put her ears in". She continued to ask questions all the while walking back to her room to retrieve her hearing aides. This was not fun, and was really unnecessary. Sorry, but it is what it is.

After ascertaining that her pain was not a heart attack - as Gram suggested - and after walking out to the kitchen and getting her water and another pain pill, she then began to regale me with her from-outta-left-field trips to the bathroom to "only have water come out."

Was she expecting party balloons and clowns? I don't know.

"Am I sure we shouldn't call Val?" and then back to how her pad wasn't wet, but all there is is "water, water."

"What should we do?" she asked, and I said "go back to bed."

Which is what I did.

She reluctantly toddled back to her room a few moments later and that was that.

Brian will be here around nine, and I will take his car to 'A Squared' for the few hours of the workshop. I will return to the apartment and relieve Bud so that he can then drive to a friend's wedding in Howell. What a day.

I will let you know the outcome of the class. Will it be a recommendation, or a cookie?

No comments: