Pages

5.16.2010

Zinnia Day

I think it was somehow fitting that a small contingent of my little seedlings decided today was the day to meet blue skies.

Today was "Flower Day" at Eastern Market, and oh! how I wish I could have been there! But...

...somehow, my zinnias and cosmos seemed to make a concerted effort (or was it a race) out of breaking free of their damp soil beginnings to see a wider world. Tonight, as I gathered the trays and containers of plants and not-yet-germinated specimens, I saw the tiniest slivers of California Poppies here and there, too!

With the amount of new green apparent just today, I know - without a doubt - that I could have stood out on the deck and watched their growth spurt. I could have witnessed the eruption of each tiny seeding as it entered daylight and became a whole other piece of nature. Tomorrow I am determined to make that happen!

In the waning daylight, I could see that some of the tender little shoots are still wearing dirt hats, and it is so amazing to think that not long ago (less than a week to ten days), they were merely seeds in the soil with nothing more than potential...and now, they are that much closer to really providing color, beauty, fragrance for me and food for insects and hummingbirds.

The day wasn't a total loss, either. I was busy with getting out and buying a pair of blue jeans that fit (thanks to Jean and Barb for skulking through endless racks of pants on my behalf), finding a stopwatch for the first day of class (tomorrow), grabbing some quick groceries and laughing with friends. All of this we did instead of our original game plan. We had all intended (Karl included) to go to Novi to see Brian at his first convention - a promise of things to come for him - but with the cost of a ticket at $25, it was not meant to be.

There will be other opportunities - and when they happen, rest assured, there will be no time lost...no opportunity squandered!

No comments: