Pages

10.15.2009

Okey dokey

So here is the next chapter in the furnace story:

The outdoor temp got to a crisp 35*F overnight, and the thermostat read 62*F in the house this morning - a five degree drop from the ten o'clock hour. I phoned the repair number listed on the DTE website to take advantage of the service I have been paying for monthly all these years, only to be told the next possible day they could get a repair person out here is FRIDAY!! between noon and four p.m.

Seriously? Call another vendor, please!

I suppose we are lucky the snow hasn't begun to fly and the average temperatures for the next several days will be in the 40's, but really? They can't call another vendor?

I am so happy (and thankful) I had that insulation blown in several years back, or it would be a popcycle-fest in here by now. It won't stay too terribly warm (in the 60's) between now and the next 28 - 30 hours. In fact, without radient heating, the temperature will continue to fall inside.

I do have the fireplace lit and the fan on, but the only area that heats is the open section directly around the largest room, the floor for the boy's rooms directly above (to a small extent) and the ceiling over the staircase - cuz all that lovely hot air travels to the gaping stairwell hole and migrates up...staying in the vicinity of the front door in the living room.

Flop continues to shadow me, despite the fact that her sisters are downstairs gathered on the bed near the fire...typical cat behavior.

Tonight, the boys may well end up sleeping with me in the lower level; them in my bed and me on the couch.

Hey, warm is warm, and it makes the best sense. Besides, this was the reason I had the fireplace installed, now we need to use it. I just wish the damned electric company and the gas creeps weren't profiting from this little adventure. The b-stards!

Pardon me, it's just the cold and the circumstances, and lack of work, and having no car talking. I'll be shiny again another day.

No comments: