Pages

8.20.2010

Another reason to smile

Karl woke up early and helped my get the trash out to the street. Normally that wouldn't be such a huge deal, but this load required muscle and sweat equity.

If I had been thinking I would have taken a photo of the pile left by the carpenter outside the front door (in front of the garage). It was a mess, and was not something I wanted to look at or work around for very long.

I called our garbage company to ask what they would/wouldn't haul away, as they have a policy which says they will haul "one large item per quarter", so I asked her to elaborate on the sketchy description. She said as long as nothing was over 4 feet in length they would take the "cabinets" I told her we had removed, broken down and bundled. She said 'no worries.' I guess we'll see.

Besides that lumber, we had four trash bags of regular garbage set out and one long piece of construction, which used to be the toe kick and bottom of the cupboards (that were ripped out on the oven end) of the long counter. That should have been deconstructed by the carpenter, but he left it intact, and since it it 7" longer than it should be for pick up it may remain behind. That we shall see, too.

At any rate, Karl came out after the first bundles were already taken to the curb, and he sawed the long pieces to manageable lengths, picked up loose bits and pieces and then helped to bundle the huge lot of remaining loose pieces and get them to the pick up point. Really, a LOT of manual labor for him, and he did great! Towards the end he lost interest and steam, but he did stick with me. I was impressed and very happy to get it done.

When the garbage truck rolled up, I must admit I stood there and watched those guys heave that pile of worthless scrap onto the truck with glee (and hopeful curiosity). when they finished I stepped onto the porch and yelled "thank you." Probably would've done handstands if I knew how.

Bye bye old stuff. Don't write, I won't be missing you!

No comments: