Pages

8.19.2010

Very disappointing

I honestly don't know what I am supposed to be taking away from all of this. I get calls and return email - like fish biting at my hook in the water - and then they evaporate, as though the fish have eaten the bait off the hook, and I stand here wondering what the point is.

Finished production on AT, and continued to send out many more interest letters with my production 'resume' (called a "credit sheet" or "working credits," or just "credits" in the industry) to upcoming projects. Towards the end of the run I received calls and emails in response - so of course, I became buoyed and hopeful. All during the production I watched the trades and websites for new jobs to apply to, and seriously thought (let myself think) that it was all starting to look up.

However, it's going on three weeks since I received that first exciting phone call from the UPM with Playback (to be shot in Grand Rapids), telling me that I was in the running. My info would be passed to the Sound Mixer, who would then interview and hire the Boom Op. Guess I wasn't local enough for them, since that seemed to be a sticking point for them in their ads.

Funny though, how it is that western MI residents can get jobs in Detroit and all around, but others cannot go west and work on that side of the state.

I tried to kid myself that with so much time before the production began filming, that it would be the typical last-minute time frame to make that decision, and then the typical rush to get the paperwork done at break-neck speed. I remained optimistic right up until last night (truthfully, Tuesday evening), when I received word that the Scripty gig in Atlanta that I was told I had locked in, was now given to a friend of the producer, but that I could still do prepro work and/or other stuff on her project if I wanted...and the idiots from Henry Ford Comm College and their "mentoring" project would only interview face-to-face, so that I sat for two days waiting for the call - as scheduled on their end - only to be told hours after the second missed call, and so many lies, that it wasn't going to happen.

Seriously, what am I missing?

No comments: