Pages

8.14.2010

So, yesterday was Friday the 13th, eh?

Well, it was the same ol' same old for me. I guess that could be interpreted as a good thing, then, eh?

Over the last several days the kitchen progressed to a point of standstill...that is, until I can get the floor sanded and stained/finished (which won't be until I can get back from Gram's), so the boys will have to navigate the living room chaos another week.

Currently (and for the last week), the fridge, dining table, chairs, antique German hutch (and all of it's contents) are crowded into the living room, leaving a small navigable route from the front door to the rest of the house! If it weren't so sad, it would be funny. Truthfully, the dining room chairs did go to the lower level, but the rest of the glut is in the shrinking living room.

Ah, but there's my motivating factor once I return home. I NEED to get it done, therefore it will get done! So, the first course of action will be to rent a drum sander and do the next steps as quickly as can be done. 1) (Fill chinks and knot holes) Sand; 2) Dust, dust, dust the floor; 3) Stain/finish the surface and allow to dry; 4) Paint the island wall - both sides; 5) Get the carpenter back to finish the half wall/island and install the counter top on it and hook up the stove (which has been in my garage since I bought it 5 years ago!).

Everything after that is after the fact.

Yes, I will need to paint the kitchen, but I will happily get that chore knocked off the list, too, and in short order. Everything will be out of the kitchen until the floor and island are complete, so if I apply myself, I should have no trouble painting while he builds out the final bits of the island. The walls are so accessible, it's inspiring - it hasn't been this empty, or orderly, since we moved in!

Another motivating component is that the garage is so much more clean and usable - as a garage! I haven't parked in it since the fourth year we lived here, so I am very excited about the coming winter.

There is hope for me yet. :) If Brian helps out a bit, I may even let him park in the garage, too.

Speaking of the boy - he has been passing kidney stones again. Three by my count since the middle part of the week. No telling if it will continue. The last time he was troubled by them was while I attended Specs...fall 2007 to spring 2008. He also (FINALLY) put together a resume, and may have sent it out to a few folks! Yea!!

Karl's class at College for Creative Studies in Detroit ended this week, too, and while he enjoyed it for the most part (and learned something in the process), he did also manage to create some cool assigned projects - impressing the teacher and the class! When I return I will post one of his projects here to view.

In the meanwhile, I have a sinkful of dishes soaking, and I should go do them before the day becomes any more humid and the water cools off. After that, my to-do list tells me I will be completing laundry and packing for the week. Then, from there, maybe I will attempt the floor "spackling," that way my list is one item shorter on my return.

Who knows! Whatever you are doing, I hope you enjoy yourself. See ya later.

P.S. - No, I've not heard anything from any of the productions applied to for the month of August, so I am hopeful that I hear from some of the September gigs shortly. Although, I did get a response/request from someone for an October gig...in Louisiana...lo/no/deferred (a.k.a. - "No money"). Would consider it, but they have nowhere to put me up, and I cannot afford to do all of the travel and housing for free if I am not getting paid. Ah well.

No comments: