Pages

4.22.2011

Random animal stuff

- If wishes were fishes...I'd have a pretty full ocean. Mmmmm...maybe a very large lake (or a small, small ocean) full of fish.

Some of the wishes admittedly would be small. Small enough to be considered inconsequential as wishes go.

Not really even wishes so much as utterances, and even I would be hard pressed to say as to whether or not I actually used the phrase "I wish" in conjunction with each utterance.

We had fish for dinner last night.

- I was up and around and standing in the right spot early this morning to witness a robin collect nesting materials. He began by hopping about, picking up errant leaves and casting them aside, then hopping on.

All at once he spotted a pliable piece of old plant material and pounced on it! Then, realizing he had found a veritable goldmine of weave-able items, he maneuvered here and there, sizing up each piece and handily collected six to eight similar pieces. He hopped 'round and 'round, I think trying to estimate whether or not he could fit and carry any more in his beak. Finally, he made his way to the stone edging and flew off with his bounty.

- While driving to a meeting last Saturday, I was blessed to see a doe standing in a very open area beside the street. I slowed my speed as I neared her, mostly to stare at her, but partly to avoid having to slam on the brakes should she do the typical deer dash in front of my car.

She didn't move...much.

Oddly, as I watched her, she lifted her head from her grass-munching pose to watch me as I drove past. It was like encountering an animatronic lawn ornament. Chewing, then craning, then little jerking movements of her head from left to right as I moved four feet along my trajectory, then another four feet, then another four feet. I could see her watching me. I loved it!

There was another car some distance behind me, but approaching my darling doe, and I hoped they too would have a neat encounter.

I watched in my rear view mirror as I drove off and saw that as the next car drew near, Miss Deer decided to amble into the street - and take her time crossing - making the next car stop abruptly! It made for a good chuckle.

- When Flop is taking a really good nap, I love that she relaxes to the point where her head becomes a drop of water. She literally "nods off" to sleep. She's also a bit drool-y.

- The girls were fed an early breakfast this morning. Afterwards, instead of our usual morning routine, Cleo quietly wandered back down the hall toward the bedrooms; entered Bud's room; sat quietly at the bedside; then hefted herself back onto his bed and curled up for who-knows-how-long.

In the silence of the morning, I could hear Brian roll over and settle back to a hard sleep, and Cleo let out her grunt-sigh as she nestled in next to his legs.

If you aren't keeping up on my quilting.....you should! Here's how: www.truenorthquilter.blogspot.com

No comments: