Pages

4.12.2011

Yup, I had the initial interview

I've just finished amending my resume, and it's been sent off to the headhunting firm (again) who will be selling me to a project team at a nearby automotive company.

[slight groan]...it's a long story. Pull up a chair and get comfy and I will give you the highlights.

At the urging of a friend (thanks, Ken), I sent a cover letter with my resume to a headhunting firm in Southfield. That was on Thursday of last week. Ken told me that a placement operative there had told him of a temporary admin job that would last from four to six months. Ken said that I would be a great fit and more than capable, so I should contact them and snag this position.

Sooooo....I did - contact the agency, that is.

Several hours later I received a call from Dave, the headhunting operative (his grand poobah title is "Sr. Resource Development Manager"), and we had a good conversation in which he asked all of the perfunctory questions and I gave my best true answers. At the end of the call we made tentative plans to meet for a face-to-face interview on Monday - if it could all be arranged - or possibly Tuesday, if Monday turned into a 'no-go.' I was to wait for his call and be available.

All good so far, right? Right.

I loped through the weekend with slightly nervous expectations and energy. I gardened and cleaned a bit; finagled clothes to wear (after having not worked in corporate attire for some time); read an old newspaper; watched a movie with a friend; then decided on which shoes to wear to the interview. I actually tried to finish a dress I had begun a while back, thinking I could wear that with a jacket or smart sweater, but the armhole treatment was giving me a run for my money, so I put it aside and stopped obsessing/worrying over getting it done on time.

Oh, to be the slender thing I was five/six short years ago, and to just hop into something I had already finished and worn many times before. [sigh]

At any rate...I received a call from Dave right around 9:30 Monday morning, asking if I could be at his location at 1:30PM, and I said that I could.

The interview went well, and I filled out several forms while I was there (a good sign)! I even met with Dave's boss/working partner, who is the person who finds the "clients" (corporate jobs) they place temps like me in to.

Was I a fit for the admin position? Forget the admin position, I was being considered for a Change Management spot with a local automotive company...close to home...for a long term assignment (if it works out)...and I would be working with/for a former colleague besides!

I know! Holy crap, right!?!!?!

If I am lucky enough to get an interview with the company and am hired onto the team, I would work as a contractor (for however long) through the placement agency, for a decent starting wage - with benefits and holidays and paid vacation time. Just like being a grown-up again.

Wait! There's more.

So, Dave asked me to amend my resume and get it back to him in order for it to be submitted to/through the proper hiring channels at the automotive company in order to get the ball rolling. My deadline was tight (but it was definitely doable), and I word-smithed and eliminated and tweaked until I could do no more. Sent it to him before his deadline and went back to bed; but now here I am, unable to sleep and still too early to make a lot of noise, so I am telling you all of the news with plans of filling in the untold information later.

I hope to have great updates in the future, and I will communicate them as they happen.

No comments: