Pages

4.14.2011

Why do things happen the way they do?

I have just about completely reconciled myself to leaving behind the fun new lifestyle of working in blue jeans and t-shirts; eating my meatloaf and mashed potatoes and salad from a cup (cuz the crafty ran out of plates); working in my lap or standing at a chair turned the wrong way 'round for a desk; working in low to no light and shit conditions; eating my lunch and juggling lunch reports - almost finishing neither; saying "make a hole"; the laughter and buzz behind the scenes; the frenetic pace of the film making process/ordeal; the crap pay (in MI); some people's egos; and on and on, and now I have another opportunity for a twenty-day production beginning in May!

Ugh and aarrrrgh!

I sent my CV and a note to the production company this morning, saying I am available and very interested.

Why? Because I cannot sit around and do nothing. A watched pot never calls with a job offer. You know as well as I do that if you want life to hand you lemons you have to go out and ask for grapes (or, something like that).

Hey, to know me is to understand that last little bit.

All I'm saying is that if you want something to progress you have to make other plans. Put other wheels in motion, as it were.

Of course, I have not heard a word one way or the other pertaining to the Change Management job. After all, it's only been a little over three days since the initial face-to-face interview with the headhunting agency. I know oh-so-well that these things can take time - or they can happen at lightening speed.

I can handle the wait - after four years (yes, it will be four years in May) of steady unemployment, with seasonal/temporary work and film gigs here and there, I am well-equipped to rideout the waiting game. I am a pro with the whole spotty-pay-and-no-benefits thing.

It's been three years between this current corporate offer and the last bit of job-security hope that was dangled before me and then whooshed away for lack of funding on Delphi's part.

Back to the present: My resume was proffered some time on Tuesday, to the company I would be working with, and now it's a waiting game. It could be a month before I am called for an interview with them, or it could be this afternoon. Or, it could be never. Not being a nay-sayer here, just being realistic. Following the interview, it could be another wait or immediate work.

[shrug]

But it's this whole wait-and-see ethic (the hiring-side way of doing things) that has kept me in a state of limbo in so many ways. Whether it was for a production job, an industry job or something corporate, I have been at 'their' mercy as far as not feeling comfortable committing to another gig (of any sort - including near full-time classes) while I sat around and waited.

The production side is not innocent in this regard, either...no, not by any stretch of the imagination. They tend to do everything at the last minute. Panic dipped in panic, topped with stress and unnecessary commotion and then sprinkled with more panic. They thrive on it. They seek it out. They manufacture it.

The way I have it figured is this: If I just relax about the corp thing, look around and continue to seek out work - no matter where or what - at least, if that wait to interview (and then find I've eventually won the job) takes a month, then I will have kept busy and happy and done something fun.

Oh, and that whole thing about if you want something to happen, you have to make plans and do something else....well, you know that's how the world turns.

No comments: